price of ps3 worth the additional $200

Discussion in 'Games' started by tim2006, Jan 21, 2007.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

is the PS3 worth the additional 200 over xbox 360? I am talking about the 60 gig the 20 gig is absent in my area and has been?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It depends upon what kind of games you play, if you play RPGs then go for the PS3 because that is where most of the games like Final Fantasy are going to be. If you like games like God of War, then go for the Xbox 360. Also, if you plan on getting the HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360 it will be priced the exact same as the PS3, keep that in mind.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What games do you want to play ? what system are they on ?

regardless of cost - if there are more PS3 titles and Sony branded games - then go for a PS3 and vice versa.

Buying one machine over another simply beause of price and not the games you want may only lead to a bitter taste in your mouth a few months down the line.

Both PS3 & 360 are excellent, and both represent great value for money hardware wise.

Be sensible, choose on the games you want and not hardware specs.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I can feel the flame wars brewing over this one....

5. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

I like Halo, GTA, Madden. I can get all on xbox. I also like having the best tech xbox 360 is a year old last gen the year diff made the xbox graphicly way better than pps2.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If they do - this thread WILL be closed.

7. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

How hardcore of a gamer are you? Just get a desktop with an awesome graphics card. Better graphics than any gaming console.

But if it must be a gaming console, that's tough. I have not tried the Wii but that would be my first choice followed by 360 then PS3. Wii because I can play old school S/NES games :D

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

There is your answer....right there.

Also that 200 dollars will shrink to 100 if you want Wi-Fi, 0 dollars if you want HD-DVD and PS3 would be 100 bucks cheaper in you want Wi-Fi and HD-DVD.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No. The year difference between the PS2 and Xbox did not make the xbox graphically superior. It was the better graphics card & faster processor.

This generation is different. The actual graphics capabilities of the two are matched.

The PS3 & Xbox 360 as all developers have stated are pretty much EVEN and games will be practically indistinguishable between the two.

Games will look spectacular on both.

I repeat

Be sensible, choose on the games you want and not hardware specs.

10. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Or you can think of the PS3 as the cheapest Blu-Ray player out right now.

11. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

If you have to get it now, get a 360, but, to be honest, if you can, just wait and see what goes where, or if there's any real difference in exclusives (lots of them are becoming multiformat to be profitable)

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd say so. WiFi and the next gen video drive is built in.

13. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Like MRU said, pick the system for the games.

That said, if you want Blu-Ray then it's worth the cost. That extra $200 adds a number of small features that would cost you extra on 360.

I suggest you compare the game release lists (available on sites like 360.ign.com and ps3.ign.com) and see which suits you best.

Of course, if you don't actually intend on using Blu-ray for movies or the WiFi then no, it's not worth the cost unless it's the system that has the games you want.

14. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would go PS3 but I like Halo. I dont know if I should base an entire system on one game. Otherwise I like blu ray have an hdtv with an extra hdmi jack and already have the hdmi cord. :D

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Make sure it's a Sony brand HDMI cable! no, really.

I'd probably say go for the PS3 then. Never buy a system for one game, I did that for the original Xbox. I loved Halo 1 and Panzer Dragoon Orta but found everything else average, so much so I now wish I just borrowed my mates Xbox and played them 2 saving myself a load of money.

Besides. Halo 3 might turn out to be like Halo 2 :(

16. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

how could it matter what brand the hdmi cable. no way a 3rd party cable voids warranty. no way of sony finding out unless you tell them and i cant imagine how it would hurt it

17. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

It worth the extra cash ONLY if you enjoy it and the games on it

18. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

That statement is what anyone should base any console purchase on, it doesn't only apply to the PS3. MRU has basically said this already in a previous post.

Ed

19. macfan881 macrumors 68020

so far id say the ps3 is awsome esp the 60 gig Version you can dl game saves im sure once they come more availble to ur choice of storage wetiher it be a external hd to sd mini sd memory stick duo etc put ur whole collection of mp3s to ur ps3 run linux etc

20. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

I'll just quote myself, again.
    Your buying it for cheaper than its worth though, it is a "deal." :apple:

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That depends on what the user wants though.
    If the user is paying more in the end, and doesn't utilise the pricy features then it suddenly becomes a bad deal.

Financially a good deal, but to the individual user not so much.

I'm never going to use a BluRay film (or HD-DVD for the foreseeable future) so the BR drive suddenly becomes moot and unwanted and without it would save me (the individual user) money.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

True, this also applies to people who buy mac pro's to surf the internet (yes I know someone who has done this). Total utter waste of a fabulous machine.

23. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Exactly.

Does the 360 have bluetooth built-in?

It's nice with the PS3 cause you can take any bluetooth headset from your phone and use it to chat online. Same for keyboards, mice, etc..:)

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Does the Mac bluetooth mouse and keyboard work with it ?

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No :eek: it doesn't! I never really thought of that! The controllers use RF I believe.