Price of RAM for MacBook Pro rapidly increasing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jacobj, Jan 31, 2006.

1. jacobj macrumors 65816

jacobj

Has anyone else noticed that the price of RAM for the MacBook Pro is rapidly increasing.

I ordered my Kingston RAM about five days ago, it's still not delivered as it is on back order, but it cost me £64 without tax...Crucial were offering it at £81 without tax... now mine would be £74 and the Crucial would be £105...

I'd buy now if I were you... the price doesn't seem to be stopping...

the Crucial has been £74, £82, £85 (ish), £90 something, and now £105....

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

No offense friend, but welcome to the world of RAM prices. :)

Its like the stock market, up and down, up and down. It all depends on the demand for DRAM (The lil chips on the boards)

I remember buying a few 256MB sticks for about 8 a piece brand new at a trade show. Good luck trying to find brand new Kingston sticks for 8 a piece for a 256MB PC100 DIMM. o_O

3. jacobj thread starter macrumors 65816

jacobj

I knew this would be the case, but I just thought I'd flag it up for those that are waiting to take delivery of the MBPs

4. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Where is everyone getting their RAM from for their MacBook Pros. I usually buy from Crucial UK but they are out of stock for the 1GB modules. Cant seem to find anywhere in the UK that stocks 1GB 200-PIN DDR2 PC-5300 SODIMMS. :confused:

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep 2gb from crucial now costs about the same as upgrading with Apple. That's what I did because of the high prices. At least Apple have it in stock & I don't trust Kingston as I know tons of people who have had compatbility problems with stuff from them...

6. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Well in the UK the 1GB module from Crucial is £100 cheaper than Apple prices. :confused:

7. Malcster macrumors 6502

I noticed this too..

I ordered my 1 gig stick from crucial when it was 98 quid, i hope there going to honour that. They said on the phone yesterday the 1 gig sticks were due in today (31st) but my order hasnt progressed yet..

8. howesey macrumors 6502a

It's not compatibility, it's the fact people cannot read spec sheets.

9. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Man I bought 8 gb of ram in 1995 for $80! You guys are getting nice deals!

10. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

:eek: 8GB???

11. Kelson macrumors member

And I paid...

$42/MB back in 1992!

- Kelson

12. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

That'll be 8 MB, then? :p

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Must be a UK thing -- Data Memory Systems in the USA has it for $115 / Gb stilll. Although stock is tight, they are quoting only a 1 day delay on shipping.

14. NeuronBasher macrumors regular

Ordered a 1GB stick for my MBP from OWC yesterday and they shipped it out yesterday. Price was $115.99. I have noticed the price going up on Crucial, though.

15. Malcster macrumors 6502

For people in the UK, my crucial 1 gig stick has shipped today, website still says out of stock but im sure this will get updated at some point soon as they've obviously had a delivery.

Its 124 quid with vat tho now! :eek: glad i ordered at 98! but even that was over the odds.

16. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

datamem's website now has it for $15 more since yesterday. I ordered from outpost for $67. Thats right, $67. But they turned around 11 days later and said they were out of stock and wernt getting anymore. So when I thought I was getting a way better deal than everyone, I ended up being screwed worse since now I have to buy it when the price is high.

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yeah -- it's easy to advertise a price lower than anybody if you don't actually intend to ship the goods...

18. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

There should be a law against people who do that, and they should call it false advertisi.... oh wait a minute!