Price vs. Performance of G4 upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yoursh, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Yoursh macrumors 6502

I thought I saw a similar topic about a week ago, but was unable to find it. So if this is a repeat, my apologies. If someone can provide a link to that topic, thanks.

I just got into my possession a 466MHz Power Mac G4. It has the stock equipment in my sig. I plan on upgrading it in hopes of it eventually replacing my current PC desktop. It's about the same age but the PC is not cost effective to upgrade. I've already researched the possible ram/hard drive upgrade options but I'm having problems when it comes to the video card and processor. I've seen some of the options out there but I'm unsure of what are the best upgrade options. My main concern is what the best price vs. performance of the two is. I plan on using it primarily for web surfing, e-mail, itunes library, torrents, and watching videos. I may want to use it for some light video/audio editing down the road also. What would be a good choice for a processor and video card upgrade? I would like to hear some opinions from those who have done a similar upgrade. I would like to know which processors people prefer or ones to avoid. Same goes for the video cards. Any advice would help thanks.

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

here is the thread i think you were referring to. there was a lengthy discussion about upgrading a PowerMac G4.

3. Yoursh thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's the one. I couldn't find it through the search option. Thanks.