Pricegrabber.com and Safari: driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by valiar, Mar 16, 2006.

1. valiar macrumors regular

Every time I visit Pricegrabber.com in Safari, the fans in my dual 2.5 G5 kick in to full blast, and a spinning beach ball appears for 5-10 seconds:mad: .
    This happens especially often if I have been browsing the web for a while.
    Does anyone know of an easy fix for this ridiculous problem?
    Does anyone else experience anyhting similar?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

tell the webdesigner to get better at compatibility :confused:

3. emaja macrumors 68000

Use Camino instead.

4. superwoman macrumors regular

Yeah, I experienced the same. It's really a test of my patience, but eventually it does get through.

Like the others say, try Firefox or Camino.

5. valiar thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it does not happen in any other browser (including IE 6 on Windows).
    It is not an incompatibility issue - everything displays correctly. It is some kind of performance glitch in Safari.
    And I do want to use Safari anyway - I just don't like Camino and Firefox, and a lot of pages I have to use work better with Safari than with Mozilla-based browsers. That is, except Pricegrabber.
    I am submitting a bug report to Apple every time I visit that page - maybe if more people did it, Apple would listen?

6. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Well, I'm using safari and just tried pricegrabber. It seems fine on my machine. No problems pulling up the main page, and no problems surfing around. No beachballs at all. Hard to say what's going on with your machine, but I would start with disabling any third-party hacks or any software that modifies safari in any way. You can also try clearing the cache. You can also check to make sure that whatever you have in your internet plug-ins are ok by temporarily removing them from the internet plug-ins folder when safari is closed and then try the site again.

7. valiar thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have anything about my Safari modified, and I am running with a stock set of plugins (i.e. whatever version of Flash Apple decided to ship).
    And, yes, I did try to clear the cache.
    What I did forget to mention, though, is that this beachball issue rarely manifests itself if I start Safari from scratch. Howerver, if I browse the web for a while (say, read some CNN news) and *then* go to Pricegrabber, the fun begins. One of the most bulletproof ways to get to the beachball is to actually paste something (like a part number) into the Pricegrabber search field.
    For me, the problem reproduces both on the dual 2.5 G5 with 4GB RAM and on a 1.25GHz Powerbook with 1GB RAM.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What you are describing is part of your computer's normal operation. Why do you think Apple designed the fan to have variable speed if its speed was not going to vary?