Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Hey, I know that the cheapest recent mac portables are going for 1099 at the apple store. I believe cheaper with the education discount. Now that the Macbook line is out, that means the PowerPC's are taking a hit in resale value correct?

I've seen some iBooks 1.33 Ghz and Powerbooks 1.5 Ghz and higher sell for more than the cost of the Macbook, which recently has outclassed the PPC machines. Apple even stated that the Macbook held its ground against the last Rev. E Powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz machine.

Now my question, is it valid for the 1.67 Ghz Alumbooks still worth over 1099? Shouldn't they be less than 1099 since the Macbook itself outworks the 1.67 Powerbooks? And if that's the case, doesn't that mean the 12" PB's, iBooks, and the 15" PB's all take a heavy hit? If so, why are there still people buying them for over the cost of a brand new Macbook? If you take a look at Ebay, the market is still high for G4's...even G3's! They are still being sold for 200-350 bux! They should be in the $100 range shouldn't they?

ncook06

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
There are a lot of other factors going into the PB pricing, like dedicated graphics, bigger screen, built-in reserve battery (while it's sleeping you can remove the battery and it won't turn off), Aluminum case, etc.

And of course, name recognition and ignorant people.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Well, the Macbook line has a bigger screen than it's PPC brethren, i believe it has dedicated graphics, and it has to have reserve battery as well.

So is it just ignorant people that buy more than they should? Or are the PPC's still up there in value because the intel chips can't handle some apps?

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
Well, the Macbook line has a bigger screen than it's PPC brethren, i believe it has dedicated graphics, and it has to have reserve battery as well.

So is it just ignorant people that buy more than they should? Or are the PPC's still up there in value because the intel chips can't handle some apps?
the MB does not have dedicated graphics (have you been reading ANY of the MB threads?) and i don't think it has reserve battery power, either.

some people who still do a lot of PS work might still want a PPC since it's not going UB until sometime next year...and yes, there are some silly people out there :)

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Sorry, haven't had time to sit and read the full details. I've just read what is posted on MacNN and MacRumors and Apple. I dont' recall reading that info.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
EHUnlucky7x9@ao said:
Sorry, haven't had time to sit and read the full details. I've just read what is posted on MacNN and MacRumors and Apple. I dont' recall reading that info.
Macbook Pro has dedicated graphics Macbook does not.
Also consider a lot of apps are not universal yet. Some people would buy a PB for that price just so they can run Photoshop native and not is Rosetta.
You really need to compare the price of a PB to a MBP.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
And remember, the market drives price- if they are selling they won't drop in price...if they don't sell, eventually they will drop.

If I was buying one right now for my school I would get a powerbook or ibook only for the reason I would be wanting a very stable system and would only need it to run the basics, etc.

Personally I can't wait until I can upgrade but will wait until more are universal and the macbooks are on a second rev.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Well, if you want a 12"-size notebook with dedicated graphics, the deprecated 12" Pb is the only way to go. Being an owner of one, I can say that makes me feel good. Doubt I would ever sell anyway...

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
not surprising at all...

There are many factors you are not considering. I own a 12" iBook (see sig), which I bought in December of 2005 knowing fully well that macbooks were on their way (I thought April, or even January!)... so I deliberately bought what was by then already "obsolete" (even though I bought new, of course, I got what I consider a great price $785). Why?

First, I'll point out, that my iBook is lighter than the new macbook - a *very* important factor for me. Arguably, it also has better battery life plus runs cooler - both important. Howerver the real answer is: software. I have a bunch of PPC only software, a lot of which will not run *usably* under Rosetta (like FCP Pro 4.5, Photoshop, various music creation softwares). I am not about to spend a fortune upgrading to universal binary versions.

Finally, I like having proven technology at hand - why should I be an early adopter of bleeding edge, when what I have now actually works for me very well? Once I'm done with this computer, and ready for an upgrade, I'll buy a heck of a more advanced machine than the current macbooks, and one that by then will have a well proven technology. In fact, if I had to make the choice all over again - this time knowing exactly what the macbooks are and their exact specs... info I did *not* have back in December of last year - I would today STILL buy a new 12" 1.33 iBook for $785, rather than pay $1000 for the macbook (and money is really a minor factor here), for all the reasons I mentioned above. Now, figuring that I'm not the only one, you can see why prices of PPC gear will stay high for quite some time... and I have Apple Care that runs to Dec 2008, plus an extra year of protection because I bought it with my American Express card... so, I'm good until Dec of 2009 - my computer will be serviced until then.

Of course, I'm not saying, that if Apple comes out with some absolutely mindblowing machines in 2007, I won't buy - BUT TO ME THE NEW MACBOOKS ARE NOT MINDBLOWING (compared to what I already have)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.