Prices in Europe

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Waynuzzo, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Waynuzzo macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2005
    Hi everyone :)

I have a curiosity I'd like to share with you all: I'm italian, I'm living in Italy right now (I've lived in NYC for a while) and - for a couple of years - I'm going to stay.

I must say... Apple in the US is a LOT cheaper than in Italy (or in the rest of Europe).

Let's see, for example, the price of the monitor I'd like to buy...

Apple Cinema Display 23'' on

US Price: 1.299$ --> 1.098 Euros.

Apple Cinema Display 23'' on

IT Price: 1.399€ --> 1.654 US Dollars

We have a 301 Euros (355 USD) difference. :eek:

Is there any way to explain this kind of difference?
    I have some ideas, but nothing seems good enough to justify 355$ worth of expenses.

If I really had to spend that kind of money, I'd better buy a plane ticket to NYC (360€) and buy it myself... and have a little vacation, too :D
  2. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    because it is - rip of europe

get your apple gear while you still can
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    You can get a plane ticket to NYC for that little money?

Anyway, people blame this on importing an American product, but lets face it, Macs are made in Taiwan (and China). You're right in saying there is little reason to be paying more. In fact, Taiwanese and Chinese people should be paying less money if that's the case, since they make the product anyway!

Get a Dell 24". I don't believe they screw you like those "nice" folks at Apple. :mad:
  4. Loge macrumors 68020

Jun 24, 2004
    Unlike the US, the Italian price includes tax; without tax it is 1165.88 euro, which accounts for a lot of the difference.
  5. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    In the US prices are shown without sales tax, whereas within the EU all advertising and price lists must include VAT.

If something costs $1300 without tax, it'll be about $1400 or more with tax included. That is still only 1175€. But if you take tax off of that 1400€, it'll be more like 1150€ or $1380 -- and that $80 is not so big a deal anymore.

Blame your government! We have 100% more tax than the lucky bastards in the States.
  6. Waynuzzo thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2005
    You're perfectly right... the thing is (IMHO) taxes are part of the game.

Commercial taxes are adjusted to the economy of the country in which you're buying/selling stuff - yes, italian taxes, amongst other things, are just outrageous -, but I think a well-designed marketing plan for year 2005 should consider that people have the chance to look at other countries markets too.

I'll try and explain what I mean: I bought a book from long before than were opened.
    My book came at the italian customs, they opened the package, saw the bill and charged me the italian taxes (20% of the whole value) keeping the package until I paid.
    That's the way the law (italian? european? international? don't really know) it's supposed to work.
    After that, I bought MANY things throughout the world: some as cheap as books, other more expensive... and nothing happened.

The law required them charging me 20% off the price of EVERY purchase, but they didn't.
    My point is: I could play this game once again and buy the monitor from a US online retailer, paying the equivalent of the US taxes in Shipping & Handling fees, and HOPE that the italian customs won't stop my package, or going the "right" way and buy it from paying 200€ euros more. (I said 200 because I guess S&H from an online retailer could be around 150$ or so)

The thing is: do I really have to try and find a way to "scam" someone (Apple, the italian customs) or should Apple have thought of keeping the starting price an exact conversion $$$ --> €€€, since nothing is "made in USA", as Abstract was saying?

Just guessing.

Btw, Abstract: yes. These days there are promotions for 3 days/4 nights + air ticket from Milan or Rome to NYC which goes around 490/500€... 360€ just the flight.
    Too bad I'm out of vacation days until 2006 :(