Pricey fashion items?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Demon Hunter, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

This is sort of an online confession. I just bought a pair of boots. The price of these boots? $498.

How did this happen? I'm not sure. As the stereotype goes, Mac users are fashionable individuals. Maybe I'm an extreme case.

Anyone else? We can start a support group. :)

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Yeah I agree. I am not really a boot wearing type of guy, but i've found myself trying on some rather expensive jeans from time to time. Sometimes I bite, sometime I realize, what I am thinking... that could go towards a new Mac!

3. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I thought of that as well. Apple gets enough of my money as it is. :)

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Obviously that's not true.

*looks into mirror*

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I guess I'm not much of a Mac user. I'm happiest in an old T-shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes. :eek:

But maybe I can buy more Apple toys instead of dressing better.

I wish you luck with your support group.

6. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

I've got a nice pair of Dirk Bikkemberg Boots (not big boot, ankle height), they were $980. I got them a few years ago, they still look like new. But they were a tad on the expensive side.

7. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Living in Silicon Valley, I have quite a few friends with enough money to splurge. $12k couches, $20k watches, $200+k cars, $700 cashmere sweaters, Prada sneakers, etc.

Looking at them, I've found that if the person is generally a happy, well-balanced person to begin with, then yes, those things will probably make the person a little happier even. However, if people who are generally grumpy and unhappy in life try to make themselves happy with buying a new car every 6 months, and a new house every 2 years, that never works, and they are just as unhappy inmidst all their luxury items as they were before.

For myself, I love nice things, but try to buy them at discounted prices (store sales, outlet stores, etc.), and would probably still do that if I had a lot of money.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Why is it you can take a $30 pair of <insert item of clothing here>, slap the name of some loopy designer on them, and suddenly they're worth their weight in platinum twice over? Maybe I'm too pragmatic but that makes no sense to me at all, along with paying a huge markup just to give Frumpy McFashion some free advertising.

Someone who equates price to quality bought me a pair of "designer" jeans once. Inside of six months they were useless (a giant hole in a naughty area had formed). The $30 pair of jeans I bought out of the Land's End catalog three years ago still look like the day I got them. They fit better, too.

I care about quality. I could care less about whose name is on it.

9. dcv macrumors G3

Boots... shoes... handbags... yep, been there, done that...

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hate people who used to wear Calvin Klein t-shirts where his name is printed rather large on the front of the shirt in plain sight.

If your name isn't Calvin Klein, don't wear shirts with his name on it. It's weird, weirdo.

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Now it all makes sense - you're into leather.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't wear many clothes but I drink stylish cocktails. They can be expensive, especially if they have pink bits.

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Lately I've been upgrading my wardrobe a bit... bought a couple of nice Lacoste shirts, a couple of Ralph Lauren Polo shirts, some other stuff at the new Ralph Lauren store here in Charlotte. We just got a Neiman Marcus store here, too, and I really like some of the Burberry polo shirts they have.

I guess my one big fashion purchase lately (this year, anyway) was my Buzz Rickson's bomber jacket... $550, but worth every penny.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow..... *cough*

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Er, OK... I haven't bought any PINK shirts. :rolleyes:

16. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I think to tend that you get what you pay for (not always though). So most of my more expensive clothes I still have, and wear a lot.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I must admit that sometimes a mist descends... the last OTT item was the £330 handbag. :eek:

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I guess that's why I've ended up preferring Windows for everyday use :eek:

I'm not a fashionable guy. But I do buy decent stuff although most of it tends to be rather 'old school'. Hugo Boss, Paul Smith, Jaeger, Zegna and Armani are my default makers, and I have some suits from Oswald Boateng.

The likes of Ralph Lauren, Lacoste and Burberry are a little too White Nerd for me ;)

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Coming from a Brit, that means a lot. ;)

Given that I usually wear black Levis and a polo shirt with some sort of Microsoft or other corporate logo on it, for me to buy shirts with nicer branding is a pretty big deal. :)

20. mpw Guest

I have a habit of being fashionably late for flights, that can turn out quite pricey:rolleyes:

21. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Ah you see... that's where you're wrong. I'm not a Brit. Although you can argue these days as to what true Britishness constitutes. The most rabidly British person I know is Indian, who has an American passport.

22. iGav macrumors G3

Not really... though two that spring to mind are £150 for a pair of Adidas and Bathing Ape Super Ape Stars, the other was a wool coat from Muji (of all places) for about £250 (hey I thought this no brand stuff was supposed to be cheap? heh).

Though usually I have a hawk like eye for a bargin. ;)

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I could not image spending almost $1,000 on a pair of boots.

Wow! :eek:

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Shall I point you back to that other thread, sir?

Come on, everyone knows you can't meet real Brits in London. ;)

25. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Bought a summer jacket for $900, 3 years ago. Wore it twice.