Price Advice Pricing a '08 MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SDH3BLK, Dec 10, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2012
    Been trying to sell my early '08 MacBook Pro and '08 white macbook to upgrade, but getting no luck...
    Here's the specs:

MacBook Pro
    Processor - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory - 2 GB 66 MHz DR2 SDRAM
    Graphics - NVIDA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB
    Software - OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)
    Hard Drive - 200GB

white MacBook:
    Processor - 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory - 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics - Intel GMA x31100
    Software - 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
    Hard drive - 120 GB

I guess my first problem is I have no clue how much they are worth!? Soo I have them list together for $1000 and looking for a best offer which I can see it getting low.. The MBP comes with adobe design suite, apple wireless mouse, travel case, power cord, and a new battery. Runs great! And never had a problem with it! It just can't handle my gopro hero 3 black edition.

Anyone have any tips to where I can get this sold and how I can price it just right? Not assuming to get a lot for these but at least something for a good down payment for a new iMac! Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!
  2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.
  3. macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2012
    I would say....

$500 tops for the MacBook Pro and $275 tops for the white MacBook, and please dont take any offense, with reserves.

Can go up based in no cosmetic/functional issues and good care of the machines. Dont forgot to factor in shipping costs/fees, if selling through an online site

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2012
    No offense taken! That's what I needed to hear! Thank you guys for the advice! I appreciate it!
  5. macrumors member

Feb 2, 2009
    You might have a hard time unloading that 8600M to anyone unless they don't know any better.

I ended up recently giving my 2008 MBP to a friend recently as I couldn't sell it in good conscience.