Pricing Leak Suggests MacBook Air Release at WWDC, Retina MacBook Pro Update Shipping Later?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 5, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

9to5Mac has received information from a source that suggests the MacBook Air updates that are expected at WWDC will ship soon after the keynote, perhaps with updated AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule wireless base stations that support a new, faster wireless standard.

These leaks line up with a report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo who said in April that the MacBook Air update expected at WWDC would ship very soon after the event, while the Retina MacBook Pro would ship later due to production bottlenecks on the advanced displays.

[​IMG]
    The site also says it received pricing for three new accessories that could be new AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models. If accurate, these would likely support the new 802.11ac-wireless standard.

As we wrote in our WWDC rumor roundup earlier today, the notebook updates are likely to be the hardware highlight of WWDC, with new MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro models announced.

Expected upgrades include a shift to Haswell processors, a possible slimmer design for the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, a new full HD (2.0-megapixel) FaceTime camera on the Retina models, and a dual-microphone system on the MacBook Air.

Article Link: Pricing Leak Suggests MacBook Air Release at WWDC, Retina MacBook Pro Update Shipping Later?

2. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

If true, nice little updates.

Keep driving forward.

P.S. Inevitably people will not be happy, but incremental improvement is very important. Retina on an Air is probably a year or two away at the earliest. Haswell is a large jump.

3. macrumors newbie

cassiar

So much Mac news today! I can barely keep up!

4. macrumors 6502a

Wow. A dual mic on the MacBook Air. That's incredible!

5. macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

I hope the new 11" Macbook Air gets around 6:30 hours with the new processors.

6. macrumors 6502a

Why do people think the rMBP will get a slimmer design? That would make it at or near (or even slimmer) than the thickness of the MBA.. which it's whole point was to be a ultra thin and cheap laptop for Mac. It would make no sense right now to do that unless Apple wanted to unify the MacBook line in to ONE MacBook.

7. macrumors 6502a

Not much rumour love for the 15" rMBP... Hope it gets a nice update, waiting at work to order a batch!

8. macrumors 6502a

What prize do we get if you're wrong? I want candy.

9. macrumors 6502

nooo i need my Haswell rMBP

10. macrumors 6502a

If people actually read the articles it was referring to, it said the rMBP may not even come out at WWDC this year but later in the year.

11. macrumors 68000

B...

If the 13" does get slimmer it would most likely just be to .71in. to be even with the 15" model.

12. macrumors member

Laucian Nailor

Must admit I've been waiting to order a rMBP 15 for three months now (my first Mac) so will feel a little disappointed if no Haswell one is signposted next week.

13. macrumors member

Was really looking forward to a 15" rMBP.

I went through 2 broken 27" iMacs and was very disappointed, I was hoping that the availability of a new rMBP would make my summer a bit better but looks like I'm possibly stuck with an underpowered laptop for a bit longer.

14. macrumors regular

Honestly looking to Haswell to make the 13" a more formidable machine. HD4000 isn't bad, but the improvement with Haswell should really make it a more legitimate player with regards to pixel pushing power and graphics without the dedicated card of the 15".

Lets hope storage gets a bump too, because 128GB standard isn't really feasible nowadays, especially not on a machine of this caliber. I'd like to see 256GB standard.

15. macrumors 68000

pubwvj

I've got half a dozen machines I would love to upgrade to MacBook Pro but I do not want the Retina version. I need and want the old I/O ports. The higher resolution screen has no appeal. The battery life, that's nice.

Like many small businesses and educators I also need Classic and PPC support. If Apple brings those back they'll find a lot of people upgrading older machines to the latest MacBook Pros. There is a lot of older hardware that needs connecting with our machines and a tremendous amount of older software that needs Classic/PPC.

A truly superb machine and MacOS would fully support running all iOS apps on the Mac, including iBooks, and support running all MacOS applications and data under iOS. I need to use my tools and data no matter what hardware I'm using. Even a lowly iPodTouch (love them, have six) has enough power to emulate the older Macs and Classic.

Time for Apple to offer backward compatibility to move into the future.

16. Moderator

Agent-P

Staff Member

I'm just holding out for the updated 13" MBA. I don't mind if it doesn't have retina, but I would like a small bump in screen resolution.

17. macrumors 6502a

how much faster or better is the new wifi ac thing?

18. macrumors regular

While I agree with you (a reason my current MacBook still runs happily on Snow Leopard, besides the fact that it's my favorite version of OS X), it's just something that's not going to happen. It's pretty clear that Apple has taken the stance that anything you needed that's legacy is available alternatively in another product that runs on the current platforms and supports the newer tech.

As far as hardware goes, the new I/O doesn't have the variety of the old I/O, but it's certainly capable of supporting it. I know dongles and such are really annoying, but the current and future retina lines will continue to support legacy I/O like FireWire, ethernet, etc. through the utilization of dongles for those who need them. Yeah it's a hassle, but for 95% of people, it's a non-issue and for the other 5% of people who rely on such support, the means exist (dongles and peripherals) to support those formats. The alternative is a thicker machine to accommodate the I/O, and we all know how Apple wouldn't let that one happen.

19. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

n = ~300Mbps
    ac = ~1Gbps (1,000Mbps+)

20. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Oh well... it looks like the wait for the new 13" rMBP will be a little longer. From this news it seems like it won't even be available for preorder right after the WWDC keynote. :(

21. macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Aye, but if we don't mention it to them then it will never happen. Let them know periodically that there is a market. They're money driven.

Until they offer the ability to run legacy software they won't get my upgrade dollars and I know a lot of other people who are doing the same thing. I just keep fixing these older machines for them. Franky lives on...

22. macrumors regular

Gonna stay optimistic about the rMBP 15'' and hope that it updates next week~

23. macrumors member

This looks a worthwhile bump, so time to upgrade my 4 yr old MB Pro.

I think that they could increase the screen size a bit, given the vast bezel - say to 14" and 12"

24. macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

Can't wait! Even though their won't be a Retina Macbook Air :(

25. macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

If there has been a pricing leak, what are the prices?