Priest Praised For Helping Car Crash Victim

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xShane, Aug 13, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

xShane

http://gma.yahoo.com/mystery-priest...fied-115004220--abc-news-topstories.html?vp=1

Why is this man being praised? He rubbed oil on someone with life threatening injuries after getting passed a perimeter blocking the scene.

"The hands that help do far greater good than the lips that pray." I would credit the first responders that saved her life more than the random guy that interfered by rubbing oil (possibly harmful) on someone that is dying.

What are your thoughts?

2. macrumors 6502a

Superstitious puffery.

3. macrumors 68020

Raid

Offering comfort to those in need of solace is a good thing, regardless of what you feel about religion.

Also he didn't seem to be interfering according to people at the scene:

4. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

Much ado about nothing. Both on the part of the "news" outlet which reported it and you for creating a thread about it.

You asked.

5. macrumors 65816

prostuff1

6. macrumors G5

yg17

This is all over the local media in STL for some reason. I'm sick of hearing about it. If god was so great, why didn't he prevent the accident in the first place?

7. macrumors 68030

Arran

A young girl in a truly awful situation asked for help and someone responded. Good.

8. macrumors 6502a

This is why people don't like atheists; you have to take a dump on a basic feel-good story about a mysterious priest comforting an injured person.

9. macrumors 68030

Arran

Hey buddy, I'm an atheist and I take offense at that. We're not all fundamental atheists. Geez!

Okay. Now, to all you extreme atheists out there: Will you please, please, please stop being so bloody extreme. You're giving us all a bad name.

10. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Mostly because the last couple days we've been inundated with "Oh he must be an angel because when we turned around he was gone!" reports.

11. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

A question...

What constitutes an "extreme" atheist? Atheism states that there is no deity. That's like saying there is "extremely" no deity.

I didn't realize that there were degrees of "not exist". It's like saying "very unique"..."unique" means only one of it's kind. It can't be modified. I would also suggest that you can't modify "atheist". Either it is atheist, or it's something else. Atheist cannot be modified, to my way of thinking.

So...what is an "extreme" atheist?

12. macrumors P6

Peace

Hey ! At least the guy is Irish !! hehe.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

That's because it stems from the "Oh, no explanation, must have been God" type of thinking.

----------

Oh, you mean the 2-year-old that was a best man to the couple's wedding? I thought sex before marriage was a mortal sin.

----------

Ehh.

----------

I agree. What kind of god lets people die in the first place? At a young age? Lets innocent women and young children get brutally raped and slaughtered? What kind of god has groups of people killing in his name?

14. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'm an atheist, probably extreme but they guy did what he was trained to do. It helped even if it was just calming down the victim there is nothing bad here.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

One really shouldn't be interfering with the jobs of first responders, especially by rubbing oil on someone that could die any moment. What if she had deep wounds? She could have easily acquired a life-threatening infection.

16. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

this is not one of the what if situations, the EMT's couldn't get the girl stabilized afterward they could and got her out..The situation is what it is no what it could be..

I've experienced enough horrific events to understand that rational or not if someone can be calmed all things are better.

17. AhmedFaisal, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013

<snip>

18. macrumors 68030

Arran

In my book, extreme ones say it too loudly. Sometimes when it shouldn't even be said at all.

But you're right. I used the word "extreme" incorrectly. I should've said "militant". But come on Shrink, I'm just having a bit of fun here, reflecting on how both theist and atheist groups, are not all that different. They're all mostly moderate and quite agreeable folks. And then there are a few crazies who have to crank it up and give everyone a black eye.

Live and let live, I say.

19. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Unless, of course, you're killed in a religiously-motivated war (i.e. most of them). :D

20. macrumors 68030

Arran

I'd say wars are driven more by paranoia of the minority. Religion just serves as a useful rallying point to draw more folks in. Nothing more.

21. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Aside of this misplaced anger you have, what does that story have to do with anything in this thread?

22. macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

It must really suck being so paranoid...I recommend giving this angst a rest for a while and see how much happier your life becomes.

I know you won't, but I thought I should suggest it.

23. macrumors 65816

dec.

Love the corny "Highway to Heaven" touch the story gets by the use of the terms "Mystery", "Guardian Angel", "blocked 2 mile perimeter", "airy disappearence" etc. in the article :D .

24. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I think you need to read the linked story ...

And if you click the link in the OP's story to listen to Diane Sawyer on the ABC News broadcast, the whole "miracle" angle is hit with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

That's what has atheists like myself rolling our eyes.

There was a priest who came upon a car accident. He ministered the injured. Anything mysterious or divine attributed to his presence is superstitious twaddle.

Sorry to rain on your feel-good parade.

25. macrumors 68000

Sydde

To start, there is something of a distinction between "I don't believe that (any) god exists" and "I know that no god exists". But, in either case, "extreme" is typically not used to describe the difference between these positions, rather, outspokenness. Some of the atheists who most strongly disbelieve also tend toward reticence, while some who even fall into agnostic territory can be the loudest. To a believer, I think "extreme" usually means "least tolerant of my beliefs". Really, that definition works all the way around.