prime time

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, May 12, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

is os x a prime time operating system, or is it still cooking in the oven?

how many os 9.x users will switch to os x in the near future?

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I consider 10.1 sufficient for getting "real" work done, even if it's slow.

I think 10.2, if it performs like everyone says it will, with its impressive feature set will be the first "prime time" version of OS X. Fast enough for getting work done as or more efficiently than OS 9.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I unfortunately have to wait till I get the new versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLive and Quark till I go fully with OSX. With the release of OSX.2, there will be significant changes that will require upgrades to FCP as well (specifically the QT6 upgrade). I will probably wait for OSX.2 - that will be my prime time.

Right now I only boot to OSX 2 - 3 times a week, the rest of the time its OS9.2.2.

4. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I can't speak for the switch for OS 9.x to OS X. But...

Have you ever USED Windows XP? Compared to that joke, even OS 10.1 is beyond "prime time." I think it's a quite solid OS, and the only drawbacks are for those people still needing to use apps in Classic. But that's a fault of the software authors, not the OS.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've not had the chance to play around on XP, I'll have to go do that, sounds like it might be fun. Give you a better appreciation for what the Macs truly are. Do you have any specific examples of stupid things on XP, or should I just go play around and see how long it takes me to get frustrated?

6. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I use it as my prime system now due to not having OS9 on my main computers anymore.

I am going to say yes, but as people have said, it is very slow, but this will improve.

10.2 looks very promising.

Ensign

7. Inhale420 macrumors regular

switching to osx soon. when photoshop 7 comes in the mail, all of our company's mac users are switching.

8. Inhale420 macrumors regular

yes i've used it. me and the vast majority of computer users can use it with ease. maybe you're the one with the problem?

9. Inhale420 macrumors regular

judging by the way you sound, it baffles me that you don't get frustrated using any computer.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Exculse me? What are you trying to say here? If you had read the quote I had been responding to, you'd see the context under which I had framed my response. I have no experience working on XP, I was curious why cleo thought it was a joke. If you can't find a suitable response to a thread, please save your comments to yourself.

11. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

A new Cyrus has appeared!!!!!! [sound of breaking glass as I grab for my emergency flame retardant suit]

I'm sorry that you get so personally offended by negative comments directed toward XP (aka "your baby"), but personal attacks aren't really necessary. Nor are they appreciated, welcomed, or found to be in any way intelligent or worth reading by the majority of members here. Go flame somewhere else.

As for OS X. I think it is ready for primetime now....unless you are a professional using programs not yet available for OS X (like the programs dukestreet mentioned). I don't have OS 9 installed on either of my computers and I'm completely happy.

The only time I even miss OS 9 is when I can't play a Real movie. I hate Real with a passion but some content out there is only available in Real format.

This isn't to say that I don't find the 10.2 features drool-worthy (I've been drooling since WWDC--can't seem to stop...), its just that I like 10.1 already. Anything Apple can do to improve it will be warmly accepted.

Taft

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Thank you for that, Taft. I haven't had to deal with this sort of response before and I wasn't even sure what to make of it. Its nice to know I wasn't the only one not appreciative of inhale's comments.

13. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Jiminey cricket!!!

Duke, you are out of control with your posts!! I haven't had a chance to hang out in the forums for a while and when I came back you're suddenly approaching eye's level of posts. Nuts-ville man.

You'd better lay off the puppy-uppers. :D You can't stay awake forever... heh.

Taft

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Lets see....

zip.

Dude, Cleo has no problem using a system first of all. Second, you might want to tone down your posts a bit. Furthermore, coming into the forums and posting flamebait is frowned upon, and you will end up getting torched all over the place.

Just a word to the wise.

(Inhale420 ducks for cover as Cleo loads us the 50 cal. rifle)

I can't wait till mischief sees this. :D

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Jiminey cricket!!!

I'm doing a lot of rendering, so I run one machine and surf on the other. Its a bitch waiting around for something to finish, but since its just small images, I'm jumping back and forth constantly.

No one will be able to catch eye, he's in a league all his own. Maybe if he goes on hiatus for 5 months.....

16. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

LOL

All the fun happens when I'm away!

Duke, this is for your benefit. I have no interest in playing Inhale's game... (although I will throw out that his handle is appropriate... one HAS to inhale large quantities to take XP seriously)...

The notorious "blue screen of death" has been, for the most part, done away with in XP (although I did get it once while trying to print, for chrissakes). Instead, when a major system error occurs, XP saves you the trouble of have to push the reset button on your own and just up and restarts in the middle of whatever you're doing. Compare that to X's "An application error has occurred. The system and other apps have not been affected" (not a word-for-word quote, bc I don't see it enough to memorize it). I think you see my point.

17. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Re: Jiminey cricket!!!

Thats funny, because the same thing happened to me a while back (during one of my big runs with posts). I was on a temporary stint in a Quality Assurance position with the trading firm I work for. I was testing software and a lot of the reports took *forever* to run (though probably not as long as a render takes). Anyway, MacRumors was the only thing to keep me sane through those horribly long report runs.

New MacRumors slogan???

"A great alternative to waiting."

Taft

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Not only that Cleo, but lets see, which is easier to hack? How many emergency security updates has Apple had to post for X? Inhale? Any answers. Having looked over his posts, he is a troll.

Nuff said.

19. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

OSX

Geez Jef, you asked a simple question and got a pissing contest.

Anyway, I use OSX far more than OS9. I use Cinema4D a whole lot, so I use OSX a whole lot. My TiBook never uses OS9. My desktop still does, primarily because I am too lazy to switch it over, and use it rarely anyway.

I think OSX is as solid as I needs it to be to be considered prime time. I run into hardly any problems. I rarely crash, and when I do its always a simple force quit that fixes the problem.

I would guess that by this time next year, there will no longer be OS9.

20. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

To answer the question of the thread. I use X for everything. The only time that I boot to nine is when I have to boot XP in VPC for tech support, which thank God is not often. We only have 3 XP machines on the network, and although they have problems, I generally don't take those calls.

X has become fast enough for all other versions of $hitdoze on VPC, and I use most of the major Apps under X. Anyway, 9 only for XP on VPC X for everything else.

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: LOL

XP Home has been much more stable for me, but I still get my share of spontaneous restarts when I'm doing such strenuous tasks as playing MP3s while surfing the web. :rolleyes:

22. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hey man, what's wrong with XP? i've been using it for about 8 months and there have hardly been any problems.

now onto the subject of OS X. on my new TiBook i don't want to run 9, but i'll have to because not all the programs i need are on OS X yet. as soon as all the stuff i need is on X, goodbye 9.

23. Choppaface macrumors 65816

i use OS X.1 a lot, but I often have to go back to 9 for file sharing and using my scanner, and also for printing because PS7+Epson OSX print drivers for my printer don't have crap in color control over PS6+OS9 Epson drivers.

also XP on my other machine, other than a few glitches from bad CD drivers it's been fine. I don't throw a whole lot at it, but it gets pretty good use, and I've only had one hard freeze so far. contrary to what others might want to believe, it's not any more crash happy than OS X is.

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i was shocked when i read this, first intelligent, courteous post he's done. I was going to post my thanks for that...

Then i read on.

Incidently, inhale, i've never heard anyone use the word "ease" when describing using windows... i certainly wouldn't.

Anyway, to the subject at hand. I think X is ready to be a primetime OS... Apple has a few things to tweak and add before it's full-featured, imho... but no one should have any problem using X for their work. i use classic now for only one program, and very rarely. i'm anxiously awaiting the day i can toss it :)

pnw