Prince Charles (apologies if this ain't legal...)

Discussion in 'Community' started by MOFS, Nov 10, 2003.

1. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

As you may (or may not) know, Prince Charles has admitted to being the royal being talked about by a former servant to the royal family. Being British (an unable to read the speculations in my country about our Royal Family!), I have two questions:

1) What are the allegations (or if you don't know, do you know an English language newspaper on-line that would "know" them)?

2) If these allegations were true, would it change your opinion on the British Royal Family?

Apologies to the moderators if this has to be pulled to prevent a libel case against MacRumors - just thought 'cause you're American you might be exempt from any action...

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The allegations have been published in an Italian newspaper (tho' not on their website) and on several others. I do know what the rumours are but being English it would be libel for me to type them here so I won't

But here's a link to someone with more guts than me....

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Complots? I'm not supriced. Very interesting.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

wow, I had no idea about this....but by trying to use the courts to block the story is only going to hurt them in the end....its going to come out and they're going to need to worry about this on top of the other problems....

Sad, really.

D :(

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

LOL, it's good the be the (future) king...:D

Bunch of superannuated, Hanovarian, inbred, servant-shagging loosers.

Nothing new here then.

6. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Even if this is true it won't change my opinion - that a monarchy is an expensive anachronism in a modern democracy and that they are utterly irrelevant at best.

7. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

british citizens arent allowed to say anything bad about the royal family?

What happens if you do?

8. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

No, we are allowed to say they're a useless waste of money, inbred mutants, do f*ck all for this country apart from swan around on big holidays and shoot the wildlife and that they are all a bunch of Germans anyway - and we should become a republic.

It's just that due to our archiac defamation laws there's a court injunction saying that we can't say in what way a senior royal, his 'aide' and a third royal employee are implicated in allegations that we can't describe because otherwise we get sued for libel (and contempt of court...probably).

The senior royal has denied the aformemtioned allegation but then we can't say what the rumour is because as I said that's illegal. An American could say it though....probably.

9. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

hmmm....I guess all our courts are a lil' messed up....ours isn't perfect either...lots of ridiculous stuff over here too.

However, I'm hoping to get a job in england within the next year so I wont say anything just in case :p

would this apply to a foreigner working and living in the country?

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah - so you're saying one of us Yanks should go and fill in the blanks here and we'd be ok?

How about the website? Are there any laws associated with this that could cause problems for arn?

D

11. MOFS thread starter macrumors 65816

MOFS

Injunctions...

This article here explains the whole thing regarding the Daily Mail article. As you can see, the Guardian (the only major left of centre newspaper in the the UK) is more fiercely anti-monarchy than, say, the Telegraph!:D

Interestingly enough, a scottish paper (mentioned elsewhere on the website - will try and find link) has been allowed to print the article because it does not sell its' papers in England. Strange, non?

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Depends where the server is, but I expect the probability that the boys in blue will be kicking our esteemed leaders' door off it's hinges anytime soon is hovering around zero.

I seriously doubt that they could make a case out of comment on a US based website even if it was posted by a Brit.

Besides, royals abusing the general population was a common occourance through-out history, never heard the phrase "Rank hath it's privelidges"?

One privelidge is apparently the ability to shag the staff whenever one feels the need.:D

13. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The laws of libel, slander and court injunctions apply to anyone in the country - citizen or not. Technically they also apply to anything that may be read by a resident of the country so stuff published by a foreign newspaper or website is liable. It's just a lot harder bringing a case on a foreign website run outside of the UK by a non-UK resident....so Arn's probably safe

Currently it is a contempt of court to utter or write down the details of the allegations within England and Wales. It does not apply to Scotland as they have a different legal system. So long as the allegations will not be read in England and Wales they can publish in Scotland.

14. iGav macrumors G3

late to the party....

damn, here's me about to come in and have a rant about what a total waste of time and resources the f**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** are and I see you guys have already beaten me to it.... heheh :p :p :p

15. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Of course - for the "Comical" slant, you can get the FULL story from www.republic.org.uk - the MAJOR whistle-blowers to the Monarchy in the UK.

Hey - I don't care...

...I didn't vote for them.

:p

16. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

From the above link...

5 Minutes? WTF?

17. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

why do hardly any of these links seem to work right? that republic news article bouces as "not found."

18. alset macrumors 65816

alset

All of the links worked for me, though I'm still not exactly sure that I'm piecing together all of the information correctly. I wish someone would just take the gloves off and say it directly for the benefit of those of us who don't know much about the former scandal with the Butler and so on.

Dan

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that it would be very difficult to live in a fish bowl rom the day you were born. We have no such thing in this country. They seem to be making a lot of speculation about him, but have not real proof.