Prince Charles to wed Camilla

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Feb 10, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Full Article.

I'm not for or against the Royal's. Good luck to them.

2. brap macrumors 68000

I hope she's past menopausal. Their children would make John Merrick look like Brad Pitt.

Yeah, I wish them the best too, really. Can't begrudge the guy a little happiness in his crazy soap-opera life.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Despite my attitude about the royals generally, this is a good thing.
    Enough of the tip-toeing around -- they've been in love for years...

It's funny how a lot of people I hear on the radio are dead against it though. Honestly, what harm is it doing to anyone?

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have no idea. Honestly, what possible difference can it make to them? Just Let Charles and Camilla be IMO.

5. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I hope they get Harry to orgainse the Stag Do. ;)

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

[​IMG] Good idea! Can't wait to see the front page of The Sun the following day :eek:

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I can't understand the nastiness about this and people harping on about Diana on the radio and message boards.

Their relationship in whatever form has lasted longer than most marriages - let them be together officially since otherwise any overnight visits are lauded in the tabloids as scandalous relations between a widower and a divorcee. Yawn!

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm at home today, and (shock) I've got This Morning on (was flicking through, honest!), jesus christ, I can't believe these people calling in and harping on about how they don't approve. Who fives a f***. It's none of their business, and it won't make ANY difference to their lives.

People drive me nuts sometimes.

9. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Me neither ... it's an absolute waste of the one telephone call their carers allow them to make before they are taken into the Happy Medication Room.

Too many freaks in the world....Just too many.

10. iGav macrumors G3

I'm loving it... anything to wind up the church going lot is a good thing. heheheh.

11. VincentVega macrumors regular

Whilst I'm no big fan of the Royal Family, I too can't understand the fuss being made about this. They love each other, they've been together for years. Why not? Anything that brings a little extra happiness into this world is a good thing. Good luck to them.

Her adoption of the "Princess Consort" as her title is presumably a concession to the fusspots who recoil in horror at the thought of the words "Queen" and "Camilla" being used together.

Edit: I wonder if there will be a public holiday on the date of the wedding....?

12. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Not that I care really... and not that I'm a Royalist...
    but if I ever needed convincing that we should be a republic... well this is it... Queen Camilla - wife of our future head of state...
    aka when / if he ever does... he also will become King of Australia!

ECK!

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

If I were a more cynical man, I would question the timing of this news just a couple of days after a well publicised report questioned some of his accountancy practices...

Still, good luck to them. The news was always going to get the non-approvers up in arms, but it's not like the public wasn't aware that they're a couple anyway, so them actually making it official and getting hitched isn't going to bring the world to an end.

And as VincentVega suggests, a public holiday would be nice. :)

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well spotted. I'm spending too much time on MR to keep up with trivial stuff like the news... :)

15. mpw Guest

Actually she’ll be Camilla, Princess of Wales when she marries Prince Charles. She won’t be Queen Camilla until he becomes King.

Of course she may wish to take another title as the media will no doubt not put up with her taking what they see as Diana’s title.

Personally I wish them as individuals the best of luck. I don’t see why we have a monarchy with the status and unearned power it still holds but at the same time I don’t want changes made to it at the will of the Sun and Mirror.

16. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

She will not be taking the title Princess of Wales, rather she will be known as the Duchess of Cornwall - a title automatically bestowed upon the wife of the heir to the throne.

She has overtaken Anne as the second ranked woman behind the Queen however. And who cares anyway, let them get married. If I have to hear anymore about Diana...

17. VincentVega macrumors regular

Well, she's been on TV a few times - they've been running the Panorama (UK TV programme) interview with Di when she comes out with her "three-in-a-marriage line", smiles shyly and looks at the floor.

Still, the story of the day for me is people getting injured at the opening of a new Ikea store...

18. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I know, it was unbelievable, and I thought Apple store openings were crazy! A stabbing (albeit unrelated), 5 people taken to hospital, 22 people treated for heat exhaustion and injuries...all this for discounted, generic flat packed furniture?!! :eek: :p

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i don't know what you brits will call camilla, but us yankees who don't understand the intricacies of the royals will likely call the wife of the king charles, queen camilla

anyway, who really cares at this point in time?

let them marry in peace...one day charles' son will have his chance to be king...he needs to have room to grow up and be normal and not have the scrutiny of the press following him around if he were to become a very "young" king of england due to the powers that be passing charles up because he married camilla and thus caused a "scandal" ;)

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Holy crap, the royal family just moved into the 20th century! I wonder when they'll move into the 21st?

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that Prince Charles has a wright to happiness. Wish him and Camilla all the best.

22. VincentVega macrumors regular

Once they get hitched, she'll be the "Duchess of Cornwall". Upon Chuck's ascension to the throne, she will be known as the "Princess Consort". Not too difficult, surely? ;)

It seems as if the concession of not naming Camilla "Queen" is to do with the Church of England (a branch of which is known as the Episcopal Church in the US). Those familiar with the Church's difficulties with Gene Robinson (the openly gay Episcopalian clergyman from the US) will be fairly unsurprised to know that the Church has a similarly dim view of divorce, especially if the person in question is the head of the Church of England (which, as King, Charles would be).

It's all rather pathetic really. Why not call her Queen Camilla? She'll be queen in all but name. If it annoys a few people, so be it. Divorce is a reality of modern society - the royal family is only human and is not immune to human weakness or human failings.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Dutchess of Cornholio??? Now I suddenly need TP for my bunghole.... :p

24. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey