Princeton Student Sued Over Paper on CD Copying

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by evolu, Oct 9, 2003.

1. evolu macrumors regular

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Three days after a Princeton graduate student posted a paper on his Web site detailing how to defeat the copy-protection software on a new music CD by pressing a single computer key, the maker of the software said on Thursday it would sue him.

In a statement, SunnComm Technologies Inc. said it would sue Alex Halderman over the paper, which said SunnComm's MediaMax CD-3 software could be blocked by holding down the "Shift" key on a computer keyboard as a CD using the software was inserted into a disc drive.

Read the entire article here

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

That bastard, how dare he tell consumers about the shift key?! :rolleyes:

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

it wont go in court, how stupid. they are just pissed. but if i was that kid I wouldn't have told either, I would have contacted them and said what will you give me if I don't tell.

iJon

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Ohhhh, poor baby...
    They designed crappy software, and now they blame the kid for finding the shift key??

This DMCA really is the end of free speech...who is harmed (Physically) by finding this stupid information out? I really can't believe that people can't release information on what drivers are in use if they found out by themselves....If I found out, and wanna tell somebody, by free speech, I should be able to tell anyone right (?) without being sued...

Ridiculous...

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This like suing the consumer advocate that pointed out the obvious, and said that Lawn Darts could maim and kill.

When your product has such an obvious flaw...

Suing the individual, who points it out rather publicly, isn't the cause of your lost market cap.

It's the management who allow the product to proceed to market with such a flaw that's to blame.

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think installing software on your computer without knowledge of the owner of the computer should be illegal. What if somebody screws up, and a virus is put on these CD's? That would NOT be fun. In fact, this company would be forever screwed...

I heard that this software also works on MacOS X. Has anybody see it in action, to see how it works? I'm sure it can't install anything in the background without my knowledge. Besides, a quick trip to the terminal, a bit of "su root", and a whole lotta "kill" should do the trick. Uh oh, are they going to sue me now :eek:

they can bite me...

7. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Unless there's a specific version for Mac OS X on the disc there's no way for the software to run on a mac. A mac is not using an x86 processor nor (thank God) windows. AFAIK Mac OS X doesn't autorun CDs anyway. It just mounts them.

I saw a report at the register that the software in question was windows only and mac/Linux etc machines were unaffected.

From my personal experience I have been able to rip every protected CD I've ever bought by simply sticking it in my mac and clicking import in itunes:D

8. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

"In an abrupt reversal, SunnComm Technologies said Friday that it would not sue a Princeton University graduate student who had published a paper that describes how to bypass CD copy protection technology simply by pressing the Shift key."

http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5089448.html?tag=nefd_top

Too much bad publicity, I guess.

9. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

And they wonder why some of us Consumers are boycotting their products....

-hh

10. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

How could they even release this CD knowing about the "shift key" bug. I know some companies rush code, but this is unacceptable.

11. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I though i saw where the software didn't work on Macs and linux machines.

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

they claim they knew about the shift-key workaround, and had only intended the copy-protection as a "speedbump" to piracy.

i'm guessing, in my layman's knowledge of the law, that one of their lawyers finally said "you know this isn't actionable, right? he was pointing out a functionality on people's own computers that's built in..." i loved reading the article this morning, hilarious suit.

pnw

13. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

I'm pretty sure it was on /., they said it didn't work on Linux or older mac systems, but I doubt it would work on newer ones either. I mean, with OS X, wouldn't you need to enter a password before any software could install anyway?

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It doesn't work on Mac OS X or Linux.

They've gone from their 52 week high of $0.50 to $0.11 per share, nearing their 52 week low of $0.02. After hours today, it hadn't recovered any value.