Principal cancels prom...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSaint, Oct 16, 2005.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    "For some, it [the letter] was an eye-opener," he said. "Others feel relieved that the pressure is off of them."

I'm continually amazed at the expense the rich and famous go to for the purpose of pleasing their children. Possibly similar to MTVs My Sweet 16. Makes for mean kids...
  2. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Putting down $10K deposits for a house in the Hamptons? Whew! The best part of the article?
    Thank goodness for that!

I am so jealous. I wish I could go to Disney World. :eek:
  3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

just oh no
    just... no

I got an $8 dress, so maybe the universe is just balancing itself...

(cheap + expensive)/2 = universal constant

/I do all my shopping at the dollar store
    //I felt bad when I spent $13 on a pair of jeans
    ////ok, that was only funny to me... Argentina's bond market.. HA!
  4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    It was funny to me too. Then again what's the chance that Argentina defaults twice in a decade.

Yeah. People out in the Hamptons have more dollars than sense.

I don't know what the principal hoped to accomplish. There is a school in the midwest that has has an alternate segregated prom for 20 years. Just because there isn't an official one doesn't mean that the bacchanalian won't happen.
  5. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    when i started reading the story i thought it was pretty ridiculous to cancel prom at a public school, but then when i read it that it was a religilous school it made more sense, in a way. (like it's no business of a public school in my opinion to tell students what to do outside of school/school-sponsored activity, but a religious school is, well, a religion, with morals and stuff)
    that sounds really excessive--spending $20k on a rental house for a party? when you're in high school? i wish i had that kind of money!
  6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    The school principal acted in what he felt was a highly principled way, but the two things that really cannot be regulated are affluence and the excess that it buys.
  7. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    that won't stop the booze cruise. HA it'll still happen, and i bet it'll be 10x more extreme. who doesn't think they won't rent out some hotel floor or something and partaaaaayy all night long..
  8. jestershinra macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2004
    If that happened at my school, we would just party that much harder. Obviously, I don't have that much money, but it wouldn't matter; same principle, and, after all, just as wasted. Stupid move, I think--student rebellion, I bet. Not like "we won't go to school" but like "we won't take your unnecessary standardized tests and we're not going to come to school as frequently", both of which hurt a school's funding.
  9. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Sheesh! Kids are full of trouble of these days. But, it comes down to the parents, as far as I can tell.

Kids at my school are loaded with cash. I don't know what it's from, but they have $6/hour jobs, credit cards, and parents that look like white trash while the kids dress all preppy, popped collars, and... you know the drill. With all of that cash, they blow it on drugs and booze. Kids are literally getting high every morning before school. And kids have easy access to drinks. There are parents that have literally a few fridges and cabinets full of alcohol and not give a rat's ass about how much the kids are drinking.

I just find it ridiculous how kids get away with so much. Cops in schools and they don't see or smell the drugs. We have lockdowns and drug-sniffing dogs and not a damn person gets caught. So, what would it take for these potheads to give it up? Does someone need to snitch (doubt that would ever be enough proof)? I love it how these parents dressed like they pulled clothing from a dumpster or thrift store just think their preppy, popped collar kids are little perfect angels until they find out their kids need to hit rehab for their drinking problem. Or in the case of one kid, sent off to the Navy. Somehow their friends seem to escape any problems just because their parents don't know.

Look, I don't mind kids are getting drunk and smoking blunts as long as they stay outta my way, but it's a problem when a) it stinks up the whole school b) they are successful enough to get into college. I wait and pray they fall. I hope someone just gets into deep trouble or even just dies and finally straightens these kids out because obviously rehab isn't enough. Just waiting...

Done ranting.
  10. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    I think proms should be cancelled for all schools. It's just another thing about high school that drives a wedge between the "haves" and the "have nots"; the popular and the unpopular. It's a wonder kids are packing heat into schools and busting caps into their fellow students. Anything to lessen the already overwhelming social pressures many in high school feel.
  11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i disagree... prom at my school was a time when everyone came together for a great party/dance/event

i'm sure most schools aren't near as terrible as this one sounds
  12. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    I don't care about how much money people spend. Hey, if your parents are gonna drop 20 Gs on your prom, so be it. I'm referring to the prom process as a whole. You quickly find out where your social status is around prom time. High school is cliqueish enough. Add on the pressure of taking the hottest/coolest/most popular date you can get to this mix and things go even further south. Then there are the kids that are just too damn shy/anti social to ask anybody. You know they want to attend but they can not physically go and ask anybody due to no fault of their own (chemical imbalance, etc.). Now, I have no problem with high schools throwing stomps and casual dances. Those actively encourage people to get together and have a good time. Proms and Homecoming (and to a lesser extent, Sadie Hawkins) encourage elitest attitudes, students to go out of their way to one-up each other, and, as I stated before, drive wedges between the student body.
  13. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Eh, your high school sounds like a horrible nightmare out of a teen movie. At my high school most people were already involved w/ someone and so just went w/ their significant other.
    Umm, plenty of people I know have gone to formals as a big group of friends-- no pressure there. Many of my peers, my friends, and myself brought dates from other schools (my bf was already at uni)... The only time my highly clique-oriented high school class got along as a whole was when peers died tragically or at proms and homecoming events.
  14. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Personally I think the principle went to far. If they kids have money, and choose to waste it on the party that's their business. I think you finish high school you've EARNED that night of drugs/sex/booze. Is it mature? Hell no, but it only happens once. I mean college grads don't go off like this. Maybe your wedding goes off as a big even but you've only got 1 grad.
  15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    eh? :rolleyes:

partied *way* harder with my buddies when we finished college, and plan on partying even harder once law school is over...

high school is a stepping stone... lots more to look forward to. you can have as many 'grads' as you like
  16. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    yeah the school should be educated the kids on how to make the right choice and not try and regulate their life style by curving events. that is like teaching everyone to not have sex until they are married, but not teach anything about safe sex. the flaw in the whole plan is that everyone will heed the advice.

the worse thing he could have done is cancel prom now they are going to go out and party twice as hard to spite the principle.
  17. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I agree. Perhaps a better solution would be to implement the idea that the high schools in this area use-- everybody meets at school, boards the same school-rented bus and the bus drives you to prom and drives you back to school. Breathalizers at the door to the prom, if you're caught, you must get a ride from a parent/ signed guardian and are no longer welcome at the dance and may lose your right to 'walk' at graduation.
  18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    He cancels the prom because of what these kids want to do in their own time. Why is it his business what 46 senior students do after prom? These 46 kids can put a down-payment on a giant air-filled Jumping Castle as far as I'm concerned.

And clumping all children together.......who's to say that most students don't go so overboard preparing for prom or after-prom? What about the students who wanted to dress up, go to the prom, go to a small after-party with no drugs and minimal drinking with some close friends, and then go home? Doesn't sound too bad (and yes, I know drinking is illegal before age 21 in the US).

And its funny that while this high school costs lots of money to attend (over $6000 per year), they can actually say that the parents of these children are so willing to open up their wallets to pay for their children.

What a moron.
  19. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop
    That article was a terrific, albeit subtl, glimpse of parenting today.

e.g. want to be a buddy rather than a parent.

Of course, that's a gross generalization for me to say... ;)