Print Damn You! Print! Is Is Really That Freaking Hard!?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by neoelectronaut, Feb 27, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

...why does Mac OS X 10.3.2 not print anything.... at all?

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

A little more detail may be helpful here.

I for one have no problem printing and I'm sure I'm not the only one...

What's your hardware, what are you printing and with what apps? Have you set up your printer?

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I own a Lexmark Z42 inkjet printer connected through USB. No matter what program I use, the printer just doesn't print.

4. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

1st, toss the Lexmark out the nearest window.
    2nd, I just checked the Lexmark drivers included with os X. They have from Z 23-35 and from Z 43 up. I don't have a clue whether or not your printer should be able to use any of those drivers generically, but my guess would be no. See if Lexmark has an appropriate driver for downloading.

5. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

There ARE drivers for it included with OS X, and then I downloaded some for 10.2, NEITHER work.

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i have a lexmark z600, connected to a windows machine which is in my homenetwork. And me too, cant print,from my ibook.. it actually ques up all jobs on the windows machine..but thats it...no further action.
    i guess i have to stop buying what they distribute at thanksgiving :D

7. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Maybe an obvious question, but did you check if "Print Center" is NOT stopped?

8. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if the print center thing has this option anymore, but it used to be that somewhere in the drop down menus there was an option that said stop/start que. I remember sometimes the que would stop itself for no reason and it took a while for me to find that option. Who knows why it stopped in the first place.

Matt

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you tried connecting the printer directly to the USB port on the back of the Mac?

Have you tried another USB cable?

Does Lexmark Z42 show up in the dock after you try to print?

10. raiderz182 macrumors regular

i have a lexmark x1150 all-in-one
    just got it today and tested out all the scanning/printing options, works with openoffice, text edit, and anything from safari so far

sucks for you guys who have problems

11. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I have a Z45 and have learned how to fix this problem.

Uninstall all Z42 stuff.

Now go to lexmark's website and download + install the Jaguar drivers.

Restart.

This worked for me and will hopefully work for you.

Everytime I repair permissions I must do this all over again (restarts aren't always necessary).

12. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I would just get a new printer! Lexmark printers are the biggest pieces of **** I've ever seen, plus the ink is waaayyyy too expensive. Your better off getting an EPSON, or HP printer. Printers are extremely cheap. I bought a Brother Laser Printer for $149 on Amazon.com and it works really well.

Now I know that your going to say I shouldn't have to buy a new printer just so I can use Panther, but I think you'll be better off in a long run.

Just my 2 cents!

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I hope he doesn't feel insulted, since you just implied that he made a bad choice. :rolleyes: Maybe, if it was so simple, he might just buy a new printer or you would buy him a new printer.

14. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I don't mean to insult anyone, I just tell it like it is, or the way I see it.

I just really hate Lexmark printers. It seems that people have nothing but problems with them. I know there are some out there who aren't having any problems, consider yourselves lucky!

15. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Well then, go with my first point. Toss the thing out the window. Like someone else said Lexmark really is quite pathetic. Ok, it sucks. Get something that works.

16. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

17. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Nevermind, just download GimpPrint Here and follow the instuctions how to access the CUPS printer drivers which include (it says on the page) Z42.

Good luck!

18. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Tried the trick above. No dice.

Installed new drivers. No dice.

...still only prints like 1/10th of the page then halts.

WTF? The printer worked perfectly with my PC.

19. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Did you make sure to add the printer with the "option" key held down so you can access the "advanced" option and select the gimp-print drivers?

20. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Yeup. Followed all instructions in the included PDF to a "T".

21. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Try removing the lexmark drivers (from lexmark not the gimp print), restart, and add the printer again.

22. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I had a Lexmark printer and nothing but problems in both Jaguar and Panther. Finally decvided to toss the peice of crap. There's a reason they give these away free with a computer purchase.

I now have an Epson C82 and HP LaserJet 1012, both which work excellent under Panther. Just got the LaserJet from CompUSAauctions for $62. Woo hoo.

23. Dub macrumors newbie

I am a recent switcher and my Lexmark Z45 will not print at all if I plug it into a USB hub. It has to be plugged directly into the Mac. This must be a problem with X or the drvers or something cos I can use this same printer on a hub with a PC no problems.

I also find that X is unbelievably slow at printing anything, especially PDFs. We are talking 5 mins to start printing 1 page. Terrible. I'm not happy cos I had to give away my laser printer when I switched as it had a parallel connector and no usb. No luck on a usb to parallel convertor either. Having made that big a sacrifice to switch I was kinda hoping a newish inkjet would work without any problems.

I'm beginning to wonder if Macs are better than PCs or if they don't just have a different set of problems...

Problems with switching/Mac so far:
    itunes randomly changes itunes folder location back to default from my external drive
    Had to give away a perfectly good laser printer
    Perfectly good inkjet doesn't work on hub
    Very very very slow printing
    ipod battery is what I would call "random" ie charge it fully on the adaptor then plug it into the dock to transfer files - battery reports only half full and starts charging. Battery reports full again, unplug from dock, battery reports half full etc etc
    Unable to use my online banking because of poor Mac support

Dub. :(

24. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Yea, try to download and install the Gimp Print driver from the link I put above. Make sure to folow the directions they have there perfectly. If Z45 is not on the list, try using the Z43 driver, it might work...

25. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I have the Z45 and printing is faster...
    Especially when I go to the Quality option and choose "Fastest" - it takes literally about five seconds for a full page of text double spaced.

Make sure you're using the latest version of the iPod software. If you are, try reinstalling the latest version using the "Restore" (Clean install) option. Then just put your songs back on. If this doesn't fix it and it's under warranty, CALL APPLE - IT'S BROKEN. Except for the Lexmark's poor Panther drivers (not really Apple's fault), I've not really had any problems with OS X EVER...