Print from iPad 2 to networked printer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jfrancis04, May 26, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

Sorry this is a pretty "newb" question but...can it be done?

I have an iMac hooked it up to a regular printer (no wireless capabilities). Is there any way for me to print from my iPad?

2. macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Nope, not that I am aware of. You will have to interact with the iMac to print, since your printer is not on your Wi-Fi network.

3. macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Bluetooth works but is limited.

4. macrumors regular

mrbunglez

You can download an app from the app store called "print n share" that lets you print out stuff to your printer, works great.

5. macrumors P6

Intell

If the iMac and iPad are in the same network, then give Printopia a try.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet. Thanks. I'll give those a try and report back.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok wow, that worked perfectly. Easy to install, setup, and use.

Couldn't find a free trial version for this one. Do you know if there's one available?

If it works, then I'd probably prefer it as it's cheaper that Printopia by about $12 or so.

8. macrumors P6

Intell

If you're not willing to buy Printopia, but love it. You can always try Airprint Activator. While not as feature rich as Printopia, it gets the job done and its free.

9. macrumors regular

mrbunglez

10. macrumors 65816

nunes013

i have airprintactivator and it works great. i have the latest beta as the stable version wouldnt work. the beta works though the few times i tested it

11. macrumors newbie

Is there a way to reliably print to a PC networked printer? I don't have a Mac

Thanks

12. madat42, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

macrumors regular

Printer Pro from Readdle has worked great for me. Installs on both Mac and Windows. From your iPad, prints web pages and other docs to connected printers and also to PDF. Also has mobile me and dropbox support. The PDF and cloud sync features are my favorite features.

In addition to printing to attached printers with the Printer Pro installed on the computer, Printer Pro also prints directly to non-Airprint networked printers using the Bonjour protocol - which many printers support.

13. macrumors newbie

thanks - i'll check that out - i've heard many have problems printing to networked pc's but this works reliably for you??

14. macrumors newbie

I use cortedo. Its a great app free and works with my wireless printer. Just take 2 min to sign up fr a free account i havent used anything else since.

15. macrumors newbie

i can't find that app on itunes??

16. macrumors regular

I use a Mac at home and it works well there. Not sure about Windows PCs. The software seems to have it covered though so good luck. By the way, there's a free lite version but I never tested it.

17. macrumors regular

+1

Airprint Activator works great. It allows me to print to my networked Canon inkjet using the native iOS print function.