Print from Mac when printer is attached to PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrVegas, Jul 10, 2005.

1. MrVegas macrumors regular

I am sharing my keyboard, mouse and monitor between a Mac and PC via a KVM switch. My HP Laserjet printer is physically attached to the PC. Is there any way that I can print on the HP from the Mac without attaching the cable to the Mac? I'm on the latest version of Tiger.

Thanks.

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I had this same setup, if possible connecting the printer to the mac was much easier for me!

3. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

4. Cvstos macrumors member

Yeah, you got to turn on printer sharing in Windows and tell it to share that printer. Then turn on printer sharing in OS X, and try to find the printer in OS X. Should work in theory, at least.

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I have my HP printer hooked up to my wife's PC using a serial cable and my Mac plugged in via a USB cable - works like a charm.

6. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

My dad has a printer with his PC on our wireless network. I print from it all the time as a shared printer. It's pretty much self-explanatory to set that up on Windows, and the instructions for installing a shared printer are readily available in a Google search.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Thought it worth mentioning an alternative - I think if you install Bonjour for Windows on your PC (assuming it's running XP), the printer on the PC will be advertised as a "Bonjour printer". That'll make configuration almost trivial.

8. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99