Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
PRINT SCREEN on MBAIR?

Is there a way to print screen the MBAir and paste it on a preloaded program like iPhoto and create a jpeg file.

With a PC, it has a "Prt Scr" key and then paste it to a photo software. I don't see one on this Air. With my 4S, i can hold the Power and Home Button simultaneously and prints the screen.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Command-Shift-3 for the whole screen

Command-Shift-4 to draw a selection box

Command-Shift-4, then space to capture only a window

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Thanks. I heard flash sound, but where is the image stored. i checked iPhoto to paste it and it's not there? Does it get filed somewhere?

Edit: Found it. It gets sent to "ALL MY FILES". Thanks for the tutorial.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks. I heard flash sound, but where is the image stored. i checked iPhoto to paste it and it's not there? Does it get filed somewhere?

Edit: Found it. It gets sent to "ALL MY FILES". Thanks for the tutorial.
To change the default format for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg (or whatever extension you prefer)
killall SystemUIServer​

To change the default folder for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/username/Desktop/ (or whatever path you prefer)
killall SystemUIServer​

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Mac doesn't have a feature where you can Cut and Paste? It seems when I drag a file, jpeg for example, it leaves a copy. In this example, I wanted to Cut the file and paste it to my flash drive. Instead, it copies the file to the flash drives, but leaves the original on the Desktop, which you then have to send to Trash.

It's one extra step to delete the files from desktop, which I prefer free of files.

Just getting use to Mac. I still love it though.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
^^^ Yes, hold control in addition to the other keys for the type of screenshot you want, i.e. Command-control-shift-3

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I guess there isn't a way to cut a file. You have to hold down command and drag the file. This process of holding down command key doesn't leave a copy of the file on the desktop. I can deal with this.

Thanks again.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
PRINT SCREEN on MBAIR?

Is there a way to print screen the MBAir and paste it on a preloaded program like iPhoto and create a jpeg file.

With a PC, it has a "Prt Scr" key and then paste it to a photo software. I don't see one on this Air. With my 4S, i can hold the Power and Home Button simultaneously and prints the screen.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Taking screen shots in a Mac:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I guess there isn't a way to cut a file. You have to hold down command and drag the file. This process of holding down command key doesn't leave a copy of the file on the desktop. I can deal with this.

Thanks again.
cmd + c to copy, cmd + v to paste, option + cmd + v to "cut" (must copy first, but then this moves it)

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Grab is an application. Click on it and then you have menu options (with keyboard shortcuts) for capturing various parts of your screen.

Have a play with it.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Grab is an application. Click on it and then you have menu options (with keyboard shortcuts) for capturing various parts of your screen.

Have a play with it.

Hey Thanks. Very cool. It's a nice alternative to cut and paste. I just don't get the up and down and side to side scroll bars when using grab to select outside the window. Thanks for this tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.