Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
On a Winblows machine, I used to be able to hit the Print Screen key and then be able to paste a snapshot of my screen into any photo editing program. How can I do that in Tiger? Thanks.

Daniel

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
There's a few different shortcuts:

Command-Shift-3: Take screenshot of screen and save it as a file on the desktop
Command-Shift-4, then drag mouse over an area: Take screenshot of part of the screen and save it as a file on the desktop
Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop

Hold down control during any of the above and it will put the screenshot in the clipboard instead of a file.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Theres quite a few threads on this already, so there might be a few other things to discover!

I would reccomend a freeware app called SnapNDrag. It allows you take a snapshot of a selection, a window, or the whole screen with ease.

::20ROGERSC::

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
If you're using Jaguar or Tiger (not Panther oddly) you can also use Grab for screenshots. It's in the Utilities folder inside of the Applications folder.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
iindigo said:
If you're using Jaguar or Tiger (not Panther oddly) you can also use Grab for screenshots. It's in the Utilities folder inside of the Applications folder.
I haven't used Panther since Tiger came out, but I'm pretty sure grab was included in Panther too.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I switched with Panther (never used Jaguar or any version of Mac OS X before Panther), and Grab was most definitely included in Panther. In fact, I've still got a machine (the PM G5 in my sig) that has a factory install of Panther on it, and it's got Grab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.