Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arilev

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Oakland, CA
I know its been discussed to death around the various forums but I've been using a mac just under two years now and its something I'm still struggling with on OS X; the lack of a print selection function. It's one thing that makes me absolutely frustrated by OS X. If I could print a selection of graphics/text then Tiger would be my ideal OS. Windows has had the ability to do this for as long as I can remember and its available in nearly every single program that can print.
I know that there are ways of achieving something similar on a Mac but they are all clunky and unintuitive. You can cut and paste into TextEdit but this doesn't preserve formatting or work with graphics. You can use Grab to selector an area on screen and take a screen shot but usually the information you want to print scrolls more then the length of one Safari window. Of course you can make a text clipping but these aren't printable, are they? There are also a number of 3rd party plug-ins and programs that either run as Services (but again don't do a good job with formatting) or add bulky unattractive windows to the desktop for no reason.
I should just be able to highlight the text and/or graphics I want and hit print and get the exact highlighted selection only. To me this is one of the most important features of the Windows world without an equal or better solution in the Mac world.
I don't know if there was a point to this post, but I thought I'd vent some frustration and maybe find a decent solution. And yes, I've sent feedback to Apple about 50 times regarding this feature.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I'm with you on this one.. its incredible really if you look through all the other advanced features of being able to print, that such a simple function is omitted!

Makes me wanna throw my macs away and go back to XP.. well not quite but it frustrates me a bit ;)

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Yeah, its is a feature that should be there. What I do is highlight the area I want to print. Then I go the top bar and select the name of the program I'm useing (Safari, Mail, etc). Go to 'Services' --> 'TexEdit' --> 'New Window Containing Selection'. Then you get a TextEdit window. Print from that. Its not perfect, but it works. I know it seems long but once you do it a few times, it is very fast.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
grapes911 said:
Go to 'Services' --> 'TexEdit' --> 'New Window Containing Selection'.
Know what? Thats actually pretty good. I tested it using this MR thread thinking I could trip it up, but it actually worked. Good to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.