print server advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Le Big Mac, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

My wife and I have our computers networked (with cable modem/router, etc.) Anyway, we have an HP deskjet (940c, I think). If possible, I'd like to hook it to a print server so we can both easily access it (right now I use the parallel plug for her PC and the USB for my mac, but we have to turn it off each time we switch who's printing).

HP offers a print server that runs $175 or something. I've seen other 3d party servers that are much cheaper. Will these work just as well (or at least adequately), or do HP printers work only with HP servers?

Thanks!

2. kiskadee macrumors newbie

If you get hold of an old pc-type computer you can boot it with a diskette containing a linux LRP printserver. Haven't tried to connect with an apple, but it should work... I think...

How to build is:

http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/

what you need is:
    486 or pentium based cpu
    disk drive
    pererably PCI networkcard
    no harddisk

Succes!

(i'll try tomorrow to connect to it using os x, I'll let you know)

3. Le Big Mac thread starter macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Thanks, but by the time I do that, I'm happy to spend $175 on HP's print server. Just not a linux/486 kind of guy.

Now, if someone has a way to do this with an old PowerMac 7500/100 running OS 9, I'm all ears. Nothing better to do with that.

4. kiskadee macrumors newbie

Euh... you have something on a 7500/100 that they call USB? Not sure about that... (oh yeah... an 486 also hasn't USB...but you could use the printer port...) btw. for an non linux kinda person (like me) it took 5 min to prepare the boot disk (on a window**** machine --> I hate education being on pc only in Belgium).

I myself have also a printing problem. My os x powerbook can't always find my personal laserwriter 300 (on an asante appletalk-network kinda box)

5. Le Big Mac thread starter macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Add on card, yes (PCI slot). Although I'm using the printer port for the LW300.

6. madru macrumors member

I am using a wireless Linsys printserver (WPS11) with HP 1220C printer. It works fine with my powermac. You don't need to match printer-server brands. (if anything, you should match the brand of your router to printserver, might make configuration easier. Although, I dought it). You can get any wired or wireless printserver and added to your network. Wireless printerserver, adds a bonus of have the printer placed anywhere in the house, within signal reach.

When configuring, use "IP printing" and don't use default queue for your print jobs (my printserver refused default queue).

7. manzanita macrumors member

I just set up my husband's PC laptop to print to our hp deskjet 990 over my G5 (we have the same setup - cable modem/wireless router) ... if you're already on a network, why would you need a print server? I don't understand ... works nice with Panther, no extra hardware. :D

This page at Apple Discussions has good instructions.

edit: oh, sorry, I didn't see that you're running OS 9. Nevermind...