Print server PC/NAS??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by WannabeSQ, Sep 5, 2003.

1. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    I just got set up in my new room im renting for the semeser of school, and I will be coming home on the weekends, so I would like to have access to my desktop computer when I am away. I also want to get a print server for my ink jet and laser printers. I got to thinking (which can sometimes be a bad idea and cost me money) Why not build a cheap PC and use it for both a print server and a NAS file server, and put it on the DMZ of my linksys router so I can have access to it while I am away? My cable modem will come next week, and it is a dynamic IP, so i'll have to get one of those programs that emails you the IP when it changes. My network consists of a G4 tower, a Compaq Laptop, and a Shuttle Mini Gaming PC. I got to thinking of this idea cause NAS are very expensive, like $500 for 80GB, and 2 port print servers are around $100. So, if I can build a cheap PC (frys has a sale get an athlon xp 2000 and mobo for $70, get a cheap case, no need for cd rom, 256mb ram and like a radeon 9000 or something, I estimate the cost to be around $300-$400), hook up the printers via USB, and control it via windows remote desktop, stick it in a closet, would it work? I have yet to try USB Printer sharing from PC to Mac, but I think it should work.

Anyone have any input, or other ideas/solutions for my print/file sharing dillemma?

As a side benefit, the machine would be a very competent gaming machine for the money, especially for warcraft 3, which doesn't need the latest and greatest. So if I do a lan party with my friends, thats one less computer they gotta bring.
  2. WannabeSQ thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    anybody? Basically all I want to know is building a PC for this vs buying standalone is worth the hassle to save a few bucks.
  3. WannabeSQ thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    I don't mean to spam, but doesn't anybody have any ideas for this? All I need to know is can I hook up a USB printer to a PC and print to it from my Mac? I know the filesharing works, as I have done that, will check on usb printer sharing tonite, but what about access from across the web? I have a wireless network at school, and it would be great if I had my MP3s while im away from home, as i have over 50GB and my laptop HD is only 20.