Print to AppleTalk printer from XP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My brother came home with an AppleTalk print server yesterday. You plug one end into your LAN and the other end into your printer. It works fine, I can see the printer on my Mac, and also on Windows 2000 after installing the AppleTalk protocol.

The problem is that XP doesn't have the AppleTalk protocol. Basically we need a way to talk to an AppleTalk printer from an XP box. Any ideas?

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Not sure about this, and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a print server, but you could share the network printer from your Mac, and I think the XP box would see it that way.

Also, I did a quick Google search and came across this page, which says this:
    On a W2K machine (and maybe similarly in WXP, I don't know)...
    1) Select "Start>Settings>Network and Dial-Up Connections"
    2) Open the properties of "Local Area Connection" or whatever you named your connection.
    2) Select "Install>Protocols>Add->AppleTalk Protocol" and finish.
    3) Select "Start>Settings>Printers"
    4) Select "Add Printer>Next"
    5) Select "Local Printer(don't "Automatically detect my plug and play printer")>Next
    6) Select "Create New Port>AppleTalk Printing Devices>Next"
    7) Navigate to and select your on-line AppleTalk printer and press "OK"
    8) You probably don't want to "Capture this AppleTalk device?" since this PC is probably a guest on a Mac network, but you could.
    9) Choose a driver, etc.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, that does defeat the purpose :rolleyes:

I've seen that, but it doesn't work in XP because AppleTalk's no longer supported :(

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Ah yeah, it looks like you're S.O.L. This helpful Microsoft Knowledgebase Article basically tells you to figure it out on your own.

You'd probably be better off buying a used Airport BaseStation and plugging it into that!