PRINT WINDOW!! (sort of)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by sonofslim, May 21, 2004.

1. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

so does everyone else already know that if you drag a folder (or CD) to a desktop printer, or the print monitor icon in the dock, it will print a list of the files! not in icon or folder view as in 9, but as a text list of the filenames and info.

forgive me if this is old news, but i just stumbled across it by accident and i'm pretty psyched, as i've been seriously missing the "print window" functionality.

2. Rogan Schlassa macrumors newbie

Not shure how anyone would use it...xept mabe for like a recipt or something

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You can also select files, then Command-C to copy, open TextEdit or another text editing application and Command-V to paste the list into a document. This works the same as it did in Mac OS 9.x and earlier.

4. mws macrumors newbie

That's exactly how I use it--I work for a publisher, and when we send a CD of files to a vendor, they want a hard copy listing of every file on the CD showing filename and date created. Print Window is especially helpful when printing a listing of the font files used in a certain document.

(Thanks very much for the tip, sonofslim--I was seriously frustrated that I would have to compare the contents two large CDs of files on screen instead of using printouts that I can place side by side and skim quickly without having to scroll.)

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, I believe that also worked in OS9 and earlier, making it very old news, but it's very nice to hear that they brought it back with Desktop Printing in 10.3--thanks for the tip!

6. sonofslim thread starter macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

precisely. i'm also in publishing, and do the file-list-with-CD all the time. that's why i was so excited when i found this.