Printer 924

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shivsensarma, Nov 6, 2006.

1. shivsensarma macrumors newbie

I have a iMac Intel Based....
    My mom got the printer dell 924 for her comp...but she got a free printer. so she gave it to me. the printer does not have the correct driver, so is there anywhere i can download the driver.
    Please help....I am not extremely good at computers....please help:confused: :confused:

2. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I went to the Dell driver downloads website, I only seen it for Windows 2000 and XP. I don't think it can be used for a mac.

3. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Am I correct in this assumption? I would like to know just in case I can not use my HP printer on my new mac when I get it this month.

Thanks

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't have any experience with this model, but you might be able to use the generic printer driver, or one from a different company. AFAIK, Dell don't make their own printers anyway. Maybe post a picture to see if anyone recognises it as a rebadged non-Dell printer, in which case using those drivers should work. :)

savanahrose, most (if not all) HP printers work with OSX. You should be fine. :)

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Try looking here for a suitable driver linuxprinting

6. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Thank you Mad Jew. It is nice to know that I won't have to rush out and get a printer right away. :D

I have had the same printer for close to 7 years and it is still one of the best. I haven't had any problems with it unlike my husband who's printer is Kaput as we speak (his is newer than Mine)
    :rolleyes: :p

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

Wow what a great printer! You may have some issues with a printer that old and OS X. HP wouldn't make a Mac OS X driver for such an old printer. There are generic printer drivers that might work. Is the printer a parallel-port printer? Macs don't have parallel-ports. What's your printer model?

And Congrats on getting a Mac soon!

8. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

oh damn. Thanks for bursting my bubble. It is a parallel port. Guess I have to get one. :(

It is an old 932 series. Guess I will give it to my daughter along with her dad's computer.

She will love that.

9. Frisco macrumors 68020

Well there are USB to parallel printer adapter cables, which will let you connect it.

I have no experience using one myself. Anyone have any luck with one?

10. Frisco macrumors 68020

To be honest, using an adapter might be more trouble than it's worth especially how cheap new printers are today.

11. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

i seen one at Costco I was going to get when I get my tax refund in Feb. But thanks for the heads up on the printer. Sorry OP for waylaying the thread.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, even if the connector works, you'll probably still have driver troubles. Sorry 'bout your bubble. :eek:

On the plus side, you'll have a Mac. :)

13. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I looked at my printer drivers on the computer and there is a download for the mac. :D

14. zarouk macrumors newbie

hi everyone,

I've got the Dell 924 printer and i can't install it on my MAC (OS X 10.4.8).
    It's connected via USB.

I can't select the "generic driver".

Can you help me please ?

thanks,

ps : Sorry for my english ;)

15. shivsensarma thread starter macrumors newbie

hi again,

i have looked over all of the options but i am still having trouble understanding if it is possible to download a driver???? i am very bad with computers so if somebody could explain it in EASY english...i would greatly appreciate it......:confused:

16. rpadua macrumors newbie

dell 924

hi,

i have exactly the same problem. did you solve it?

17. doteyes9 macrumors member

I also ned a driver for the Dell AIO 924. I would use the rebate buti don't have room for another printer.

18. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

No Dell AIO 900 series printers can be used with Macs. To save money on the components, these printers were built using low capability chips that offload almost all processing to the host computer. The procedure is completely proprietary to this branch of printers and no driver is available for any other OS than Windows.

The printer is basically a Lexmark with a Dell logo on it, but drivers for the comparable Lexmark printers have been confirmed not work. You cannot use the "Generic" or "PostScript" drivers with this printer either. Its hopeless.

19. jjkayes macrumors newbie