Printer advice please !!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bollard, Jan 10, 2007.

1. bollard macrumors regular

I've had enough of all-in-one colour printers :mad: As a rare printer user I'm fed up of having to buy colour cartridges at exorbitant prices just so I can print in basic black and white. So what I'm after is a basic printer which just uses black cartridges and nothing else. Does anything like this exist ? If so what would you recommend ?

Cheers
    Mark

2. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

A basic monochrome laser is what you are looking for, it wont print colour and they are a little more expensive, but the cartridges last 10X as long.

Brother or Samsung is probably the one to go with either an hl-2040 for brother or a samsung Ml-2510 which are about $150, the toner costs about 80 bucks and lasts 3000 pages... if absolutely necissary go with an HP or Canon who makes great injets but bad lasers.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I was so sick of my Epson running out of ink when I'd only printed a few dozen pages on it in the space of 6 months. I finally tossed it in the garbage and bought a Brother HL 2040. I got it on amazon for $58 after rebate:D

I love it! Hooked it up to my Airport Express and it just worked. I've been printing a lot lately but still haven't run out of ink. A replacement cartridge is about $50 but it's supposed to print up to 3000 pages so that's acceptable in my book.

I highly recommend it.

4. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm more or less settled on a Canon iP4300, which are both affordable and have 5 separate cartridges for ink, i.e. 4 for normal dye (CMYK) + 1 with black pigment for text, as far as I've seen. It also supports double sided print and borderless photo printing... edit: hmmm... seems like double-sided printing is Win only :mad:

Yeah, I know I sound like a canon representative now... :eek: But I'm not, I'm just in the market for a nice, inexpensive printer to have at home. ;)

I sent away for a test print of one of my own photos, and for me (who bough my last desktop printer in 1994, and have been leaching off high-end printers at my girlfriend's workplaces the last 10-12 years for all my printing needs) were thoroughly impressed, even if the digital photo I sent in were fairly low res it came back as a sharp and nice 10 x 15.

6. bollard thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I ordered the Samsung today for £75.
    To me printer ink and car servicing are the two biggest cons in today's society!!!!!!

Cheers
    Mark