Printer advice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OneBigFatNinja, Oct 15, 2012.

1. OneBigFatNinja, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

macrumors member

Hi,

My printer broke last month and I'm after a replacement, I had it wired to my laptop but now however I have started using the iPad and iPhone more for Internet searches / purchases etc.. I also have a few apps like 'Documents' that mean I can view my word documents etc on both devices also.

I'm thinking about a wireless printer for the office room that's iPhone / iPad compatible to save me from sending the documents via email or to 'Dropbox' to the PC and having to boot it up for a simple print job.

Anyone recommend / used or own a good one that can help with my decision making. I'm in the UK if that helps price / model wise.

Thanks

2. macrumors newbie

Re: Printer advice?

As a general rule I would recommend Brother inkjet printers for the majority of general users. Simply because the build quality is excellent, they are user friendly and (if you are using compatible cartridges) they are the most economic printers on the market currently.

As far as AirPrint compatibility goes my instant recommendation would be the DCP-J525W. If however you wanted an all singing, all dancing AirPrint printer with fax, touchscreen, document feeder and disc printing functionality then I would recommend the MFC-J825DW.

If you are interested I have written a review for the MFC-J825DW which can be found here: http://www.refreshcartridges.co.uk/igloo/brother-mfc-j825dw-printer-review/

I hope this helps.

3. macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I just received the Epson XP-400 printer from the apple store which cost $100 and it does AirPrint as well as wireless printing from other devices. It was installed onto a Windows 7 laptop with VERY little effort and has everything I need (it does not send/receive faxes).

It's a very good (cheap) little wireless/airprint printer. My uses are VERY similar to yours and I would recommend this one.

4. macrumors G5

Macman45

5. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I have an Epson Stylus NX-530 ink-jet printer. It prints, scans and copies wirelessly. It has a number of excellent features. It will run off my MBP, iPhone, and iPad. There is an app which allows you to print from anywhere...home, work, and any other out-of-the-home location.

It also has a very nice feature which allows you to conserve on it's most expensive consumable...ink cartridges. Most ink-jet printers hold 2 cartridges; black and the color cartridge. The color cartridge actually has three compartments in it containing the three colors necessary for color printing. The problem is if one color runs out, you have to replace the whole cartridge, even the there is still ink in the other two compartments. The Epson has 4 cartridges...black, and one each for the three colors. If one color cartridge runs out, you just replace that one, and continue to use the other two until they run out. Much more sensible than having to toss the whole cartridge when one color runs out and wasting the remaining ink in the other two compartments in the cartridge.

It prints very quickly, doe great photo printing, and will take the card from your camera.

The guts are essentially commercial (office) level. The difference between the commercial model and the home model is the casing, and the office model has a feeder for multiple copies.

I'm super pleased with it.

EDIT: ooops, Macman45 beat me to it...he always does that to me!!

6. thread starter macrumors member

Haha!! Thanks for all the recommendations...

The one I was looking at cost way more than the models you've mentioned above.

I'll check out the ones listed here and hopefully be able to pick one up before Xmas this year.

Wired computers and accessories are so 2001.

Thanks again

7. macrumors 68030

waloshin

i would have to say a Monochrome laser.

8. macrumors 6502a

shinji

I have a Brother laser printer, and I'm very happy with it.

9. macrumors 68030

waloshin

10. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

Unless you need to print color, I highly recommend getting a Laser. Brother makes a few excellent models for around $100.

11. macrumors newbie

Buying a printing device can be a complex company, there are more forms, styles and types of photo printers available to the home and office individual than ever before.

12. macrumors member

I would avoid Lexmark and go for a monochrome laser. But that's my .02 :D

13. macrumors G5

yg17

I've owned just about every inkjet printer brand out there and they've all sucked except for Canon, which have been nothing but reliable. Had an older inkjet, upgraded to a multifunction, and bought a multifunction for my parents as well and they've been rock solid. Mine's older and doesn't support AirPrint so I can't comment on that, however.