Printer Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by woo83, Apr 3, 2007.

1. woo83 macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2007
    Hi, I'm a PC user looking to purchase a macbook whenever the new one comes out. We have a little network with 2 windows xp computers and a printer right now, and I am scared that the printer is not mac compatible.

It is a Konica Minolta Magicolor 2400W printer, and from the manufacturer's website: Please note: This printer is designed to be used in computer operating systems running MS Windows only. Operating systems such as UNIX, Macintosh, or Linux are not supported nor do we have workaround drivers available. Older MS Windows versions, such as Windows 3.1/95/98[pre-SE] and NT 3.51/4.0, are not supported.

I'm really pretty computer-illiterate, but I did check apple's website and couldn't find a driver there for anything other than a few major printer companies. Is it possible to just do some sort of plug and play thing to get it to work (through the wireless network of course, not actually plugging it in...) I have heard some people talking about Bonjour, so could someone explain to me how/if that would work? I could be way off the mark here... Thanks for your help with this n00bian problem!
  2. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    If there's no manufacturer driver available, there's usually (thanks to the kind open source folk) a CUPS driver available. Macs come with CUPS drivers.

Although, you should realise you usually don't get the full functionality that you would with a driver from the manufacturer.

Edit: I haven't read this page, but it looks like it might be useful to you -
  3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    there are some 3rd party free printer drivers out there, But I m not sure if u will be able to use them for your specific printer, u can bring ur printer to applestore and ask them to help u figure it out.

One thing for sure, it won't be that easy as plug and play, and u do have chance of not be able to use it under OSX.