Printer connected to Mac, trying to share on PC... help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by h0kie99, May 1, 2005.

1. h0kie99 macrumors member

My Mac and PC are networked and everything works fine with file sharing. However, I've never been able to print from my PC... the printer is connected to my Mac, so if I have a file on my PC that I want to print, I just end up opening up the PC file on my Mac and printing directly from the Mac. This is getting annoying! I want to be able to use my Mac printer on my PC!

I tried installing the printer and it shows up fine in the list, but when I try to print a test page, nothing happens. I hear my Mac working a bit, but nothing ever prints or shows up in the print dialog box on my Mac. I am so confused! Is it easier to insall the printer on my PC and try to share it on the Mac????

Thanks!

2. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Have you turned on printer sharing?

The other thing to check is that any firewall is not stopping you from printing.
    I would temporary disable any firewall - then try to print - if it works set up the firewall accordingly.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Not sure if is true, but I have two printer hooked up to my PC and can print from my Mac to those shared printers.

4. h0kie99 thread starter macrumors member

Still nothing...

I checked my firewall on the PC and I have the exception box checked for "file and printer sharing".... I just cannot figure this out! When I go to print something on the PC, and I check the printer dialog box, it says "cannot open printer" but it can definitely find the printer because it has the same name as it does on the MAC. ??

So frustrating!

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Back when I shared my printer while using Panther, I remember having to install the driver for my shared printer on the PC. Maybe you could try that. I don't know about Tiger as I have never had to share my printer yet.

6. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

On your pc - how are you installing the printer?