Printer Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by i4k20c, Oct 16, 2005.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey guys-

I purchased a pb recently, and along with that a printer for my parents to use at home (since they have that 100 dollar rebate).. so i wanted to take the old printer from home to college, to use with the pb... unfortunatly there seems to be a problem.

My old printer is not USB but uses the serial conenction or w.e. (u know those big connectors, similiar to what computer monitors use).. and i was wondering is there a such USB to printer serial connecter cable out there?

Cliffs: Does a USB to Printer Serial Connector cable exist?
  2. fayans macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2005
    MacRumors: Forums
    Yes, it exists. USB on one end and parallel converter on the other. But I'm not sure whether it will work on your PB.

Attached Files:

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Canada's South Coast
    Cheap Printers!

I know this isn't really what you asked, but I was in Best Buy yesterday and they had cases of brand-new HP LJ1020 Laser Printers for $129. (And that's in Canadian dollars! I'm guessing that would equate to around $89 U.S.) You can get a dozen different colour inkjet printers for that price or less, and even some printer/scanner/copier combos. I'd take a serious look at these before I spent $40 on an adapter cable to make an "old" printer keep going. Buy new, and you'll get an OSX printer driver, Airport Extreme compatibility, and the list goes on and on...

Edit: I've just noticed that the LJ1020 is apparently not Mac or Airport compatible. However the fact remains, printers are cheap to the point of being disposable.
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Some things just weren't meant to connect. I'd take eRondeau's advice and get a cheap new printer. The adaptor will probably be quite pricey and I doubt it'll be able to work with the PowerBook anyway.

Couldn't your parents keep the old computer since it seems to be working for them, and you take the new one?
  5. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68000

Sep 23, 2005
    The 6ix
    i also have some unrelated info- i had a serial to usb adaptar from BELKIN but the only drivers were for OS9- belkin refused to make a new driver. so i would also say get the new printer

as an extara, the hp psc 1310 all in one series are awseome
  6. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2005
    argh, yah i didn't think about compatibility.

I could take the knew one but i got it for them since we needed a photo printer.. and we needed a fax machine, so we got one of those ALL IN ONE'S. It's actually nice cuz bounjour (sp?) not really even sure what this is, but it connects from my pb to that new printer wirelessly..which is sweet imo!

Its okay, im not sure if i'm going to live at home or in an apt or smthin next yr for it'd be kinda waste for now to get a new one *unless i see one for some spectacular deal or something*

my school is just funky..they charge 15 cents per page to print.. i think thats a little rediculous for a college campus.. but idk. :rolleyes: