Printer driver can't be found!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by diamond3, Feb 9, 2007.

1. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Ok, for some reason I can't get a canon printer to set-up correctly on an iMac. Its a G5 2.1ghz, 1.5g ram, mac osx 10.4. It recognizes that it is connected, I have installed the canon software from the cd numerous times and even the one for there website. None of which have solved the problem. I talked directly with canon and they went through and told me everything I could do and that if it didn't work, it was a problem with the iMac. None of there suggestions solved the problem.
    So, Here is where I am at: I can go to the add a printer and it finds my printer (ip4200), Then the Name and location boxes are there, but under the print using: it cant find the driver. I can use the preinstalled ones under canon but they don't work with all the features my printer has. Apple will only talk to me if I pay $160 for the 3 year apple care. Any suggestions?
  2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    first, is this ur mac's problem? try it on another mac.
  3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
    i agree with the post above, i had a weird model of an hp printer...and it wont print off the usb port, but wen i connect it to the network it works fine.
  4. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2006
    Try This

1. Double click on the MAC HARD DRIVE.
    2. Double click on the LIBRARY folder.
    3. Double click on the PRINTERS folder.
    4. Drag the CANON folder to the trash can.
    5. Close any open windows.
    6. Double click on the MAC HARD DRIVE.
    7. Double click on the LIBRARY folder.
    8. Double click on the RECEIPTS folder.
    9. Delete any CANON receipts.
    10. Close all open windows and restart your computer.

1. Insert your Mac OS X 10.4 Install disc. Open CD when it appears on the
    2. Find and double-click on the Optional Installs.mpkg.
    3. After the installer opens, choose the following custom install options:
    -Check PRINTER DRIVERS and use arrow next to this entry to expand this
    -Check CANON below the PRINTER DRIVERS heading. (You do not need to
    install other manufacturer's packages.)
    4. Click INSTALL (or UPGRADE) and follow prompts to reinstall the resident
    CANON printer driver package. Remove the OS CD and then restart the
    computer after installation is complete.

1. Go into HD > Applications > Utilities and open the Printer Setup
    Utility. The PRINTER LIST window appears.
    2. Highlight and delete any existing references to your CANON printer. (If
    you want to be thorough and do not have any other printers on the Mac,
    choose PRINTER SETUP UTILITY from the top of the screen and RESET PRINTING
    SYSTEM. Confirm resetting the system. This clears any existing printer
    entries and queues. If you have other printers on the Mac and use this
    reset, you will need to readd them later.)
    3. Turn the printer OFF and back ON to make the Mac redetect it and add it
    to the list automatically. (Do not change the PRINT USING field. Selecting CANON here would add a GOMP Print driver which does not support all of the functions of the resident driver.
  5. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Thanks orangemacapple, but I am sorry to inform you that I did that through the canon support and it still didn't solve the problem which is why they said that it was an apple problem. Also, I found that I should try an advanced add printer, but when I do that the printer dialog box closes unexpectedly. I have a few options that a local store that sells apple computers told to do, but I can't and don't dare do them right now because i am burning a movie in iDVD. They were:
    1. Go to Disk Utility and do the repair permissions or something like that. I know what it is, I am just not sure if that was the name. I will do that next.
    2. Reinstall os x and do the save archive mode. Is there a good chance that I loose some files that I want on my iMac? Do I need to back it up first?

Is there a better option.

I don't think it is my printer because I just bought a new one because my hp wouldn't connect to this computer.
  6. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2006
    those are about the only 2 i can see to do now.
    YES! repair permissions. that should be done before anyting else is ever done. i do it after downloads, adding new software, or when anything acts like it might want to act funny. permissions is probably the single reason for most problems. i don't know why mac doesn't do it automatically on each wake/startup in the background.

BACKUP! always do a backup before you mess with anything like reinstalling OS. i back up frequently. i'll be glad when leopard comes out with time machine to do it automatically.

i hope the permissions and reinstall do the trick. i can't think of anything else that is left.
  7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
  8. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Yep. I don't get why this stuff can't be easier. It should be setup so if you want to download the printer driver, thats it. Then I could just direct the path to that file and there would never be any worries. I think hardware drivers are the things that a lot of people have problems with and that they could make them a lot easier. But, I am no computer geek that knows the reason for that. It would just be nice in situations like these.
    I will try the repair disk permissions.
  9. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Update: After reinstalling the os, everything worked fine. We did the archive and install mode and it kept all of our files in tact and yet solved the problem. This just made me realize more that if you get a new computer, reinstall the os with the format hd. The problem using printers on that computer has gone on since we got it.