Printer driver nightmare

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dont Hurt Me, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well i through out my printer this AM and now am going through the srtuggle of installing my drivers again, seems no matter what i do i cant get my HP printer to show so i can add it to the printer list, i can print a test page fine but my computer is acting like there isnt no printer and also keeps wanting me to make appletalk active which i have turned on and off to no avail. Why does Apple make it such a nightmare to use your printer? so here iam 1 hour of monkeying around to simpley get this thing to see that i have insalled this printer. I have even tried to install the drivers again but it says they software is allready on the machine. what is the secret with printer utility????HELP

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

DHM, have you selected the correct printer type to search for? HP printers are notorious for creating their own printer type in Printer Setup Utility and requiring you to select that before Mac OS will find the printer and print to it (I have an HP network printer that does this).

3. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

not sure what you mean, i have gone into print center where it asks to add printers? I choose yes and then it shows the printer and says no drivers installed. I know they are in there somewhere. how do you get this thing to recognize the drivers or where can i find those drivers. something this simple shouldnt be so hard. i have even unplugged all my usb devices since this Hp is USB and only left it plugged in.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That is just plain weird. I'd look at HP support for answers (on their website) at this point; I have no idea why you're getting the behavior you describe.

5. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I went to the HP site and downloaded a new driver and now its recognized, who knows? anyways thanks for trying. looks like when in doubt go find that latest driver.

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Because there are soooo many HP printers (and sooo many drivers), Apple unable is to get them all on the install cd/DVD. To save room on your HD don't install the printer drivers from the Apple install cd, but just download the one from the manufacturers website. You save about 500 mb of space on your HD!!