Printer driver not found

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by VladDracul, Aug 16, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Hi,

I had the following problem when trying to configure my HP Deskjet 3420 printer for Mac OS X:

Before I installed anything, I plugged the printer to the USB port. Mac OS X inmediately recognized the printer and I was able to print black and white documents without problem. The only problem I had was that color images wouldn't print correctly.

Trying to solve the color printing problem, I decided to install the driver and utility software the comes with the printer. I thought maybe these drivers would solve the problem.

That's when everything broke. Now, when I try to add the printer, it shows up in the applet, but with the following message: "driver not installed". I've tried everything including reinstalling the drivers, but nothing seems to work.

What gives?

2. macrumors 603

shadowfax

have you removed the printer and reinstalled it?

3. thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I did that.

Actually, I just found out that I'm able to print test pages from the utility program that comes with the printer; but I'm still unable to add the printer to the printer list. Still the same message: "driver not installed".

4. thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

I managed to finally get it to work. I uninstalled all HP related stuff from my machine and proceeded to reinstall the drivers. It worked without a glitch this time.

5. macrumors 603

shadowfax

great! i guess there must have just been a problem with the installation. it may have had something to do with that you had already plugged in the thing before you installed the drivers, though that's just a guess.