Printer Driver Not Installed - 10.2, Xerox

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macette, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Macette macrumors 6502

Howdy,

Have just forked out big bucks (well, big for me) for a Xerox Phaser 3400 laser printer... and now I can't get my computer to recognise it. Problem is, when I go to the print centre to 'Add Printer' (I've got it connected by USB), it brings up the printer, with a question mark on it, but it says 'Driver Not Installed'. I've installed the drivers over and over, restarted the computer, upgraded the OS etc etc - but no joy.

Any tips? The Apple support site is no help at all - it has a whole document about the problem which DOESN'T SOLVE IT.

2. Mac til death macrumors regular

I really don't know of a fix for your problem, but you could always give Gimp Print a try. http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

I didn't see your printer on a list of supported printers, so I doubt it will work.

Sorry to hear about your problem, your best bet might be to return it and look for a different printer. :(

3. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

it IS on the list of supported printers - it's in the 10.2 documentation. comes with a PPD and everything.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Are you certain the supported driver works by USB? It might be Ethernet only. I'm talking about the driver, not the printer.

5. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

no, not certain - but i tried to hook it up via appletalk, and it just wouldn't see it. it keeps giving me the message that 'appletalk is not active', when it definitely is. tearing hair out. and it says on the xerox site that it's supported...

6. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

Well GIMP works! Now I know why everybody's always talking about it. How come they can make it work, and Xerox bloody can't?! Pack of dorks, the lot of them.

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i wish i were australian... ;)

yeah, gimp print seems to be a god-send... or at least a nerdy bunch of techies send..... my dad's epson photo printer didn't have os x drivers that supported custom paper sizes..... gimp print to the rescue... kind of dumb you have to use 3rd party though

i assume 10.2.5 didn't fix anything? (can't see when you first posted in this view so i don't know if you posted pre 10.2.5 or not. :) )

8. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

No, 10.2.5 didn't fix anything... I guess it's just not supported using USB, and that when I install my wicked airport extreme network later in the year, all will be well...

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

everything's better when it says "extreme" after it.

though i think it should be xTreme or something.