Printer drivers for OS 8.1?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Maxicek, Oct 24, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Six months ago, I gave my very old Powermac 8200/120 (64Mb Ram, 4Gb HD) with OS 8.1 to my Father-in-Law to use e-mail and the internet. It does everything that he need to do, but we are thinking of buying him a cheap inkjet printer for Christmas. We are looking at either:

Epson Stylus C46
    Hewlett Packard 3650

Both of these printers have OS9 drivers available. Will they work with OS8.1?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. macrumors G4

Why don't you upgrade to MacOS 9.1? At any rate, the HP DJ 3650 is a USB printer. The PM 8200 does not have USB ports. To use the 3650 with your computer, you will need to install a PCI card with USB ports. My thinking is that you will require MacOS 9 because that is the OS mentioned by HP on its web page for the 3650 driver.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, should have mentioned that the 8200/120 has a Belkin 2-port USB card installed, and used to be hooked up to a USB Epson printer, but I can't remember which model.

4. macrumors G4

OK, you are set then, hardware wise. I still recommend going all the way to MacOS 9.1. Have you tried downloading the driver for your printer and installing it?