Printer/File Sharing On SMALL Home Network with PCs

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by shadowfax0, Oct 1, 2002.

1. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

We just purchased a new laser printer for the home business, and it's sitting upstairs happily. However, it's attached to a PC that is all hooked up to the wireless network we have, BUT the one thing I can't seem to be able to do is to get my Mac (downstairs, 10.2.1) to recognize the PC (upstairs) I go to "Go..." and see nothing. I even set up a share folder on the PC, any ideas on how I can set up even basic file sharing? Once that's done I think I have a fighting chance to set up printer sharing. Anyhow, I'd like to know what people think, thanks.

2. bidge macrumors 6502

3. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

does the printer have its own ip address (is the printer connected to a hub or is it connected to a pc via a usb or parallel cable)?

if the printer has an ip adress, just add a printer to the mac by selecting the ip adress.

if the printer does not have an ip address, i cannot tell you how to connect them, but i can tell you how to share files on your mac with your pc. go to "sharing" on your control panel in jaguar and turn on windows sharing. At the bottom you will see the address to put into your pc.

maybe this will help you.

4. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

The PC upstairs is running XP Home. The printer does not have an IP, but Ill try out the 'Windows Fiel Sharing" and see what I can do, that wasn't on before, thanks!

5. bidge macrumors 6502

I don't really know that home XP has lots of brilliant sharing stuff.

I use WinLpr for printing, it gives the PC an IP address to print to, basically.

http://www.alixoft.com/Software/swinlpr.htm

If it's an HP you could probably get a jetdirect card for it. I don't know if things like these are available for other brands of printers.