Printer for College?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Saluki Alex, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

I'll be heading off to college in the fall and need to get a new printer, the old one that I used with my Windows pc only has a serial connection. I'd like to stick with HP seeing as every printer that my family or I have had has been an HP and they've all been great. I've been looking at the HP Deskjet 6980 because of its WiFi connectivity, but I've also been thinking about getting an all-in-one instead. I guess my main question is, would it be better to get an all-in-one for college, or go with a basic printer? And any suggestions on which printer to get would be greatly appreciated.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have the HP Deskjet 6840, which is the similar model that came before the 6980. The printer is wonderful, but the drivers are lacking. Maybe they improved them with the new printer.

3. ucscc10 macrumors member

i'm a freshman right now, and i have never really needed an all in one. i just have a printer, and the 2 times i've needed to copy something i've either gone to a floormate or to the copy center on campus and paid the 8 cents. i'd just go with a printer- less space that you can use for other stuff in your room and less things to break.

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

A cheap 2nd hand laserjet from ebay. Don't listen to the others. For college you need a Macbook Pro and likewise a Pro printer that produces tack sharp reports, not the consumer grade elcheapo inkjets that smudges and blotches :rolleyes:

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Lasers are a pain. When they are working perfectly they look nice, but often the rollers get dirty and they start putting lines on your paper. That does not look professional. Besides, these days, inkjets have wonderful quality. Plus, having to spend $70 at a time for toner isn't fun. :( ...And what if you need color?

The only good thing I like about lasers is if you are using a highlighter the ink doesn't smear.

Also, the HP Deskjet 6980 will print faster than any (affordable) laser.