Printer for rebate with iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Oct 22, 2006.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I am getting an 24" iMac and will order it with the new printer promotion, which is a $100 rebate. I am looking for a good all-in-one. Don't really need a fax, but scan, copy and of course good B&W and Photo printing. Don't need camera direct or card printing or viewing screen. Will edit in iPhoto first.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations or bad experiences on either of the following printers? Will hook up through Airport Extreme for wireless from iMac and 12"PB. Also, I do like the idea of the document feeder for scanning multiple pages to a single pdf.

Canon PIXMA MP530

Canon PIXMA MP830

HP Photosmart C4180

HP Photosmart C5180

2. Does anyone know if the promo works for edu purchases?

2. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

I would go with either of the Canon printers. I have a Canon all in one that I absolutely love and it was recommended to me as I was going to get an HP. I wouldn't trade my Canon for anything. For the edu pricing, I thought you could still get the printer.

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Go with either of the Canon printers.

I have a canon MP760 all in one and i love it. My parents have an HP and i really can't stand the thing. I am not quite sure what it is but for some reason it just annoys the hell out of me. I think it mostly has to wirelessly do with the fact that HP does not support wireless printer sharing. what i ean is i can plug the canon in to the USB port on my parents computer and then enable printer sharing so that i can print to the printer from my iBook or iMac. With the HP printer that does not work. To be able tot print to it wirelessely you need a wireless router to run everything to. It just makes it a longer process to printing wirelessly and more of a pain because you have to by another piece of equipment.

4. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

I must say that HP rules over any other brand..
    I own an HP C4180.... great multifunctional! Drivers are preinstalled, software is truly amazing.

Print cartidrges are far better than any other, with the "vivera" technology, HP surpasses Canon, Lexmark, epson or any other printer brand.

5. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I have an Airport Extreme router hooked up to my cable modem. I will plan on plugging the USB for the printer into that so that I can print from either the iMac or 12"PB. Ultimately I would like to have only the power cord, usb for iPod, and possibly a firewire HDD as the only cords connected to the iMac.

I'm leaning towards the Canon MP530 because of the document feeder and lower price. I haven't heard the best things about HPs. My last printer was a Epson C80 and that thing always clogged up the inkjet nozzles. Eventually it was useless. Most likely because I didn't print very often to it. I think most inkjets have problems if they don't get used with some regularity.

6. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

MR Mods who delete posts have should really reevaluate what gets a post removed. I've seen far too many ridiculous posts and threads for that matter that go on untouched. Yet a post in my own ongoing thread referencing another thread is an issue. Thanks I think I will take a rain check on the shower. Read this while you can.