printer not being detected by OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flat6, May 19, 2006.

1. flat6 macrumors regular

It's an HP 2100M. Here's some screenshots of the problem. It's detected by name, but not by type, so I get a printer error when I try to use it. The most frustrating this is that there's no apparent options for trying to fix things.

Thanks in advance for any help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I also downloaded the drivers from HP, and installed them, but that gave me no fix, or new options in any of the dialogue boxes for the printer setup menu.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

After you installed the HP drivers did you delete and reinstall the printer? You will need to do that. Also did you try going through the printer setup to see what is there?

4. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't delete and reinstall the printer at the time, but I just did now, and unfortunately that didn't do anything. I'll give the laptop (PowerBook G4) a restart now, see if that does anything.

The last 3 of the 4 screenshots above, in the original post, show the options under 'Printer Setup'. That is, nothing.

The drivers were straight from the HP website, at:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...riesId=25469&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=219
    The file's called "HPLaserJet_v5_5_2.dmg", it's supposed to be a universal installer for all LaserJet printers. I just installed it by clicking on it and following the instructions, as opposed to dragging it into the Applications folder or anything.

5. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

I think the problem may be shown here; note that there's no driver being detected, despite me installing them from the .dmg package downloaded from the HP website.

[​IMG]

6. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

Never mind, problem solved.

It ended up being a non-intuitive set of steps that went something like "Print & Fax > Add Printer > More Printers > Windows Printing > Select Workgroup > Select Printer > Select User/Pass". Turns out it had nothing to do with drivers at all...

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Glad you worked it out.

So it was a network printer then? That could have been useful information to tell us, just in case you have problems in the future. Often networked printers only need drivers on the computer they are directly attached to.