printer not recognized

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tjpratt, Jan 9, 2004.

1. tjpratt macrumors newbie

G4 running OS 10.1, my printer works fine on OSX, but is not seen in the classic mode, which is were most of my apps are? I believe i have the drivers installed in the proper place but still no sign. Solutions?
    Thanks tjpratt

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

first turn on the printer and in os 9 open the system profiler. Can you see your printer there? Does your Mac recognize it in os 9? Maybe in os 9 two driver have conflicts with each other, if so, this is what you should do: first startup with only the mac extensions, then open system profiler again and see if it recognizes your printer and if you can print! If this doesn't work, do the same except startup with your apple extensions and the printer driver. If this works, then a driver of another program/hardware is having a conflict with your printerdriver!!

3. K12MacTech macrumors member

You don't specify what type of printer, but I'd guess it is a USB printer. You will need to select the printer in both OSX Print Center and in OS9. The quickest way to set it up in OS9 is open a Classic application. Once you have the rainbow apple in the menu bar, you can then select the Chooser, and should see the icon for your printer and can connect to it. You can also get to the Chooser by going into System Folder -> Apple Menu Items.

Sometimes a printer setup in OSX is available to Classic, but I haven't seen that work consistently.

4. Calliander macrumors member

The best thing to do would be to upgrade to Jaguar or Panther. What model of G4 do you have and how much RAM?

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

BTW, are you trying to print in Classic? or do you really print in os 9 (booted up from os 9)? I thought Apple didn't support it any more, printing in classic, could be wrong do.

6. K12MacTech macrumors member

Printing in Classic definitely supported - we do it all the time in our schools, which are running Jaguar. We have a great amount of legacy software that we can't afford to upgrade. We do have to set it up in both OSX and Classic. You have to either use the Chooser or Desktop Printer Utility to set them up, AND have the OS9 driver installed.

If it is a USB printer it may be a little more trouble, depending on the drivers available from the printer manufacturer.