Printer & other concerns

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by drb6, Jul 22, 2005.

1. drb6 macrumors regular

Hey everyone at MR,
    I'm on the edge of the mac world looking to step in as soon as the new ibooks release next week :D . I just have a couple of questions that I hope you kind souls will be able to help me out with.

I have a Lexmark Z600 which works fine for me. I was wondering if this is compatible with Tiger. I did a search but got confused by what I found so I wanted to post again. Hope you don't mind.

Also I have a few other random questions:
    1. Does bluetooth reduce the battery hours of an ibook or its overall life?

2. Any tips to lengthen the life of my battery. I'm gonna be using it pretty often and I am aware of the callibrating thing when I first use it. But I wanna know over its lifetime, how I can help it out a bit?

3. For an ipod, should I format it for windows or mac. Another user on a post far away said its better to do it for windows since if you do it for mac then it won't work with windows. I am the only mac user in the family so I thought maybe I should do that. My question is are there any downsides for when I use it with my main machine (ibook...soon)?

4. Finally, I'm planning to buy office for mac soon with the awesome rebate offer they have and I was wondering if it would work okay on Tiger since its an older version.

Thanks for all your help! :)

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

To answer your questions:

Lexmark: seems likely it will work based on a cursory search, probably will need a driver or Gimp-Print.

Bluetooth: it will reduce the battery life (not the longevity) if it is on, but you can always turn it off when you don't need it.

Battery: Recalibrate it once a month; short spurts of usage (you don't have to completely drain the battery every time you use it) are better for lithium-ion batteries; when not using it for long periods of time (more than two weeks) discharge to 40% and take it out.

iPod: Format it as Windows if you are planning to take songs off the iPod while using Windows. It will charge if you plug it in, just not let you take songs off.

Office for Mac: it will still work even if it is an older version.

Good luck with your new Mac.