printer problem (not networked etc.)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluesdude, Mar 21, 2007.

1. bluesdude macrumors newbie

Hi, I hope I`m posting in the correct forum, I`ve tried searching "forums" for the answer, but can only find networked problems on my model.

I have a Canon MP500. I can only get prints of poor quality on my mac mini. I also use this printer on a windows pc and it works brilliantly there, whereas the prints done with the mac are lined and have almost a posterised/negative look in any dark areas, and light objects on dark backgrounds have a separation line between them.

I do a lot of music on the mac and want to switch photography duties to the mac aswell, but this printing issue is preventing me.

I can access all the fine tuning and a lot of basic functions such as paper type and quality settings on my pc, but I cant on the mac, despite loading the mac install cd and doing a full install.

The scanner funcion works ok, though it did fail at first saying there was a driver missing, but I tried again and though it took a long time to hook up, its been ok since then.

Can anybody help me please.:confused:

Martin

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. bluesdude thread starter macrumors newbie

What, Surely Not??

Hi, yes I found that and several other threads, but these all seem to be related to networked printers and in use whilst connected to windows pc. Whilst I do use my printer on a windows machine, when its being used on my mac it is used as a separate stand alone unit and is not connected to my windows pc.

Surely I dont have to fork out for an independent company's fix for a solution to my problem. That sounds totally unreasonable to me, both on the parts of apple mac and cannon. The printer is sold with mac install software, and apple cant get it sorted with popular printers?? Surely not, tell me someone.

Thanks, Martin

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well that printer says it's full supported. My suggestion would be to download the newest driver for it

Canon's page

5. bluesdude thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant believe it!!

Well I`ve been looking around on the net for the past few hours and I`m completely dismayed. iIs there anyone out there who uses the canon MP500 on a mac to produce high quality colour prints?? (mine will manage B&W line drawings and text)

I cant believe that applemac are trying to gain windows users as customers when they have problems with so many popular printers. I did`nt know of this and its not widely known, I mean I looked pretty thoroughly into the useability of a mac to try the system. Not once did I hear of printer compatability problems. All I heard was how you could use the mac mini with windows compatible keys,mice etc., and how wonderful its going to be for all us windows suckers.

I`m not sure it would have made a difference to my purchase as I bought the mini as part of a recording studio set-up, but I believe people should be made aware of exactly what does, or more to the point what does`nt work with the mac OS.

I feel conned by the company that was more appealing in that sense, than Bill Gates` global monstrosity.

I tried installing all updates from canon for my MP500 and it is no better. Its nothing to do with network problems as it is`nt networked, its just crap and you cant do anything about it unless your prepared to pay for an external company`s fix. That truly stinks, and it makes my blood boil.

If I want to work on photography on my mac I`ll have to then send the image via bluetooth or cd to my pc laptop to print. Well I cant see me bothering to do that, and other than recording, oh and perhaps "comic life" (I like that), I cant see the mac infiltrating my life any further for now, and I`m dissapointed as I`ve been enjoying the mac experience up to now. I mean, unless I`m really missing something here, they need to get things sorted dont they?

Martin:mad:

6. zflauaus macrumors 65816

First of all, it's Apple, just Apple, not applemac.:rolleyes:

Second of all, all operating systems have their own problems. One with Mac OS X is just some very minor driver problems. The MP500 is a fairly new printer. Compare that to Windows XP which has 100,000x's more problems than Mac OS X.

Honestly, if you want to be mad a company, right Canon a letter and tell them to make the proper drivers to make the printer work.

And seriously, one minor problem is better than dealing with many major problems on Windows. Don't get so uptight about it.:rolleyes:

7. bluesdude thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok Z, I take your point but I still think its a pretty poor state of affairs that these facts are`nt made more apparent, if only to ensure people buying new printers get ones that work.

I know its a ma-a-a-ad world but surely I have a point here dont I:confused: It seems like a marketing strategy/choice not to make this clear, especially at point of sale in the apple shops. Typical nowadays, but poor all the same. Its dodgy to think this type of thing is acceptable just because microsoft is the only alternative.

Martin