Printer problem...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr. E, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Mr. E macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently bought an iMac G5 and along with it, I bought an HP Deskjet 6540 printer. I bought that particular printer from the Apple Store (online) along w/ my computer. I figured a peripheral from the Apple Store itself...should work good w/ OSX Tiger on my iMacG5.

Well...It actually DOES work pretty darned good. It couldn't've been easier to set-up & the print quality is great.

...But it does have one little quirk. When I use the "print both sides" command...it doesn't do it. It seems to kind of like...try (it will print what should have been the 'back' upside-down--but on a new sheet of paper instead of the same one).

I am not a big expert on computers...maybe this is just a driver program thing that can only be fixed w/ a software update or something like that, but if anybody knows a possible fix for my problem...I should would appreciate hearing it. Thanx a lot!

2. Gee macrumors 65816

I'm not an expert on that particular model of printer, but in most home printers, if you print double sided, you have to put the sheet of paper back into the printer the other way up after it has printed the first page - they usually don't have all the cogs and wheels necessary to flip the sheet themselves.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

To print two-sided automatically on that printer, you need to have the "duplexing" accessory, which is a $80 or so optional piece of equipment that snaps onto the back of the printer.

To do it manually, you'll need to, I think, print the first page, then insert the page you printed upside down into the paper feed, and print the back.

Here's a link to the HP site that describes the accessory.

4. Mr. E thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh cool. Exactly the info I needed. Major thanx emw! --You saved me a lot of time on hold calling Apple. ;)

hehe!...maybe you are a "demi-god" at that. :D

5. Mr. E thread starter macrumors newbie

Just had to post once more...

I can't thank you enough emw! I didn't even know what I needed and now...I have just ordered the accessory that I do need to remedy the problem--and it will arrive via UPS 2nd day air (...in 2 days I'm told...hehe!).

And you replied really quick too! I am just a bit stoked right now...imagine...to actually have a computer problem SOLVED--and fast too! *thumbs up*

Aloha & mahalo! :cool:

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Glad I could help (even if it cost you an extra $80 or so ;)). You'll find these forums to be quite helpful in general, so as you spend more time with your new iMac, feel free to come back and ask questions.

Who knows, perhaps you'll be helping us out in the near future!

One suggestion though - if you are going to spend time here, you might want to consider reducing the font size on your signature. It will make your posts easier to read. :)

7. Mr. E thread starter macrumors newbie

Epilogue

Guess who's printing on both sides now???

...This guy--that's who. :) (and I couldn't have done it w/o ya emw! ...well, I could have, but it sure would've taken me a lot longer and would've been much more hassle).

Good ole' OSX! There was all kinds of set up for Windows, and even for OS8 and 9, but with OSX...and I quote: "No set up necessary". *thumbs up*

(Awww...my sig' font size is that big! I made it that size so the smiley would be the right size for the letters ;) )

8. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

hey when things are good they are good man!! thats a good lil printer you will enjoy it!