Printer problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iEdd, Jan 3, 2006.

1. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Hello,
    I have an epson stylus C43 and I get a weird problem sometimes. Firstly I'll say that:
    •The printer is connected by usb to the PM G5
    •It is accessed from the G5 and airport printer sharing from both laptops (in sig)
    •The problem happens with all three computers time to time

When I go to print something, it's added to the list of jobs, but then all jobs stop. If I go to restart the jobs, they stop again. Start Jobs, jobs stopped, start jobs, jobs stopped. I have tried printing text files, pdfs, .jpg files.. No matter what, the problem happens. What should I do?
    EDIT: Btw, we have had this printer for years without probs, but they have started over the last few months

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Does this issue also occur when you have the powerbooks connected to this printer directly via USB? If you haven't tested this, it would be a good step in troubleshooting this issue.

If the problem doesn't follow the connection to the powerbook, the issue may be with your PM G5, and would also give us more focus to troubleshoot.

3. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

Thanks and I will certainly test that. One other fact I didn't say is that the jobs set on the powerbook don't appear in the jobs list on the G5. The problem would seem to lie in communication between the two. The only weird thing is when the problem occurs on the G5 :confused:
    I'll try two things tomorrow:
    •Connecting powerbook(s) directly with usb
    •Connecting printer to airport extreme base station instead of G5

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I hope we can pinpoint this for you, and I also hope it isn't related to an issue on your PM G5 :( .

Quick question, did you recently (in the last few months) change firewall or share settings on the G5? That may possibly be part of the issue too.

5. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

Hmmm... I set up bittorrent in that time period. I turned on a firewall in preferences for certain ports, but wouldn't that allow more stuff to get through, not block it if anything?

6. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

Fixed...For now

I decided to permenately connect it to the AExtreme base-station(It's at the same desk as the G5 anyway) and it works through bonjour with all computers, so I'm happy for now. :) Thanks btw

7. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

(New) Printer Problem.

So it all (seemingly) worked with bonjour with the printer connected to the airport extreme base station. Each computer would flawlessly print. I realise the colour went funny today (Stupid inkjets clogging heads), so I went to clean them, but 'utility' is greyed out. Anyone know how to make the utility work with bonjour???
    If instead of trying that through 'stylus c43', I go to the printer list and do it, the utility button works, then the 'epson printer utility' loads but there's no printers in it's list. :mad: