Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by AWishForNoOne, Apr 24, 2003.

1. AWishForNoOne macrumors member

My friend is using a bondi blue iMac with an epson 740i printer (i think) and after she installed a new ink cartridge, the printer goes through the motion of printing but nothing comes out on the page. she has restarted her comp once and restarted her printer. she has also made sure that all stickers and tape were taken off the ink cartridge. help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

try priming the printer... if that doesnt work...reinstall the drivers...what os

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Tell her to take out the ink cartridge and look down inside of the holder (she might need a flashlight)... have her compare it with the color ink holder... chances are, the little spike that goes into the cartridge is broken off...

took me a month to figure it out on my 740...

pnw

4. mkubal macrumors 6502a

This will sound stupid, but make sure she took the plastic things off that are supposed to be removed. Don't mean to try to insult your intelligence, just making sure that all possibilities are explored. ;)

Also, you can try cleaning the print heads/nozzles or whatever they are called. It works differently on different printers. Not sure how it would work for the 740.

Matt

5. physicsnerd macrumors member

Try running a "Printer Operation Check"
    From the 740i manual:
    "
    1) Make sure both the printer and computer are turned off.
    2) Disconnect the interface cable from the printer.
    3) Make sure paper is loaded in the printer
    4) Hold down the load/eject button and press the power button. Hold down the load/eject button until the power light starts to flash, then release it.

The printer prints its ROM version number and a nozzle check pattern (shown in Examining the Nozzle Check Pattern).
    5) To end the check, turn off the printer. Then reconnect the interface cable and turn on your printer and computer.
    "

If the printer doesn't print something I'd guess that the ink cartridge is messed up, and needs to be replaced. Of it does printer it's a driver/cable/port problem of some sort.

Let us know what the results are of the test.

Physicsnerd

6. photohead macrumors member

My friend has the the same problem with his 740. His problem is that he doesn't use the printer much and the heads get clogged. if you haven't used it in a while and it worked before chances are that its the print heads being clogged. Just flush the print heads a bunch of times and it should clear up. if not you might have to change the print heads. Just as a note/comment, I had to replace the heads in my 1200 and epson said that they suggest that you use the printer at least once a week, so that the print heads don't get clogged.

N

7. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

How do you flush the heads? I have a 760 that hasn't worked in months... This could be the answer!

8. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

9. photohead macrumors member

Yes, its in the epson printer utilities, with alignment and ink level check, etc.

don't get frustrated if it doesn't work right away....it took 12 times for my friend to flush out the clog fully. Its better to waste one set of ink then to pay $250.00 dollars to replace the heads like I had to.

N

10. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

No! And suddenly, I don't think I want to! *meeps!* ;)

11. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Giving it a try now! *crosses fingers*

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

FYI there are $50-60 printers out there now with the same or better quality than the 740... so don't spend more than that on repairs...

pnw

13. photohead macrumors member

I agree totaly...I only fixed the 1200 because first off it was a little more expensive to buy in the begining. and it had been two years.....but in hindsight there are really cool printers for cheep like some from epson for under 100 and have durabright inks....not too bad in my opion. I just use the 1200 for office work now that I got the 2200....but if the repair is more then 60 bucks donate it and get another one...you get a tax deduction and you'll probably get an upgrade in a new printer.

N

celaurie did the flush work?

14. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Okay, doesn't seem to have worked...

Any other suggestions.

Oh, basically what's happening with me is that the black cartridge light is on to be replaced even though I have tried two or three different carts and done the whole head cleaning thing.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Chris, the screwed printer man

15. photohead macrumors member

what os are you on.....are you using original epson ink.....does the ink have a chip.....try reloading drivers...

N

16. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Epson Stylus Color 760

OS X, 10.2.5.

The black ink light is contantly on and despite running the nozzle check/clean utilitities for ages, nothing has changed!

I've tried both an original Epson and a Jet Tec cart, neither work.

Both spikes in the cart loader are intact and jaggy! :p

As far as I can see there is no chip, but don't quote me on that!

Already tried re-installing the drivers.

Suggestion? Anyone?

Chris

17. photohead macrumors member

Re: Epson Stylus Color 760

In the priter utilities what does the ink level say?
    <clarification> does the black ink print ? or nothing comes out...if nothing comes out.....might sound dumb....but did you take the seal off of the cartrige?...if it does print ....has to be a software problem....<most likely> or at the worst a hardware <electrical> problem that you might have to had fixed.

N

18. photohead macrumors member

celaurie

I'm tring to help.....I'll ask around and see what the F! is going on....must be pretty frustrating ....I've gone through the same thing....I feel for you.

N

19. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Re: Re: Epson Stylus Color 760

The 760 is one of these beasts that wont print unless both cartridges have ink in. As it reads the black ink as being either empty, not there, clogged or whatever it wont print nor does it show an ink level. It does, however, show full for the colour cart.

The seal is off the cart. I even checked just to be sure! ;)

I honestly think it's something in the black reservoir, whether it's blocked or something is broken. Epson don't makes these things easy to see...

Chris

20. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Not a problem, dude... It's just frustrating!