Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trixs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I have this problem that sometimes my printer doesn't work. I think it happens after my macbook has been hibernating (I'm not a 100 percent sure about this, I'll test it). It won't work again until I restart my macbook. This is the error message I get:

fatal: Opening Printer Connection Failed: Unable to open the printer connection. Please check your printer connections and check for printer errors.

Any idea what this could be a about? The printer is a hp psc 1210.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I have this problem that sometimes my printer doesn't work. I think it happens after my macbook has been hibernating (I'm not a 100 percent sure about this, I'll test it). It won't work again until I restart my macbook. This is the error message I get:

fatal: Opening Printer Connection Failed: Unable to open the printer connection. Please check your printer connections and check for printer errors.

Any idea what this could be a about? The printer is a hp psc 1210.

I believe the PSC printers from HP have a few issues. Try updating the drivers, and I'm only seeing 10.4 as being supported, but I would use the 10.4 drivers on 10.5 if that is what you have.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=90764

Trixs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I installed them, it seemed to work for a little while but now I'm getting the same error again.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You can try using the opensource driver HPIJS you will also need to download and install Foomatic-RIP and Ghostscript (gplgs-8.61) just choose the correct versions for your Mac. You will only get printing functionality at this time since HPLIP has not been ported to OS X yet.

One bonus is the printing will also work over the printer shared on a Windows PC or as a standalone network device.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I installed them, it seemed to work for a little while but now I'm getting the same error again.

You can try this:

Press the cancel button on your printer (wakes it up).

In the print queue, pause the printer. Wait a few seconds for the window to update. Then press the "resume button" in the window.

It may help.

Trixs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
You can try using the opensource driver HPIJS you will also need to download and install Foomatic-RIP and Ghostscript (gplgs-8.61) just choose the correct versions for your Mac. You will only get printing functionality at this time since HPLIP has not been ported to OS X yet.

One bonus is the printing will also work over the printer shared on a Windows PC or as a standalone network device.

I guess I could try that although I'd obviously prefer it if all functionalities of the printer would actually work. I don't get why they can't make proper drivers for this device, it can't be that hard? :)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I guess I could try that although I'd obviously prefer it if all functionalities of the printer would actually work. I don't get why they can't make proper drivers for this device, it can't be that hard? :)

You would be surprised. It's amazing how manufacturers make good hardware but write horrendous drivers for them.

*glares at Logitech*

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
You would be surprised. It's amazing how manufacturers make good hardware but write horrendous drivers for them.

*glares at Logitech*

HP is notorious for this. They don't update (or seldom update) their drivers for their printers that are a few years old, but concentrate on their new line of printers. I have a new HP OJ L7780 and they updated their drivers this past February, but it still has some communications bugs like what you describe.

That's why I suggested what I stated in my previous post. This may (or may not) be a viable workaround for you. It won't hurt to try it and if it works for you, you can leave your system alone.

Trixs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
HP is notorious for this. They don't update (or seldom update) their drivers for their printers that are a few years old, but concentrate on their new line of printers. I have a new HP OJ L7780 and they updated their drivers this past February, but it still has some communications bugs like what you describe.

That's why I suggested what I stated in my previous post. This may (or may not) be a viable workaround for you. It won't hurt to try it and if it works for you, you can leave your system alone.
Bastards, hehe. Anyway, I don't think your workaround worked but I'll try it again the next time my printer refuses. Otherwise I'll try those open source drivers. Thanks for the help either way!

Avenger23

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Clovis, NM
Have you maybe tried uninstalling the printer drivers from your Mac? I noticed on HP's website for your HP printer that they mentioned the Leopard OS has the most current drivers available at the time. What I'm wondering is that you may have the older 10.3/10.4 driver loaded and it is causing the problem.

I had a similar case with my best friends iMac when it came to printer problems. He upgraded his machine to Leopard and all of a sudden when he tried to print to his Lexmark printer the program would crash and the printer application would crash also. It wound up being that his printer driver was for 10.3/10.4 and not for 10.5. Just a suggestion to see if this might help you out there.

BTW... here is the link to the document I found on HP
http://h41140.www4.hp.com/mac_connect/pdf/Mac_OS_launch_special.pdf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.