Printer problems in OSX

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mikepctp, Mar 22, 2004.

1. mikepctp macrumors member

OK, I have OSX 10.2.8... upgraded from an install disk set of 10.2.1 via the Apple download section 10.2.8 combo upgrade.

I am using a beige G3 upgraded to a G4 550 via xlr8 ZIF.

I have a PCI Radeon 7000 Mac 32mb card with the latest 10.2.8 drivers and the quartz extreme hack... all seems fine there and it shows as accelerated.

I have a D-Link 10/100 PCI card in the second slot. Nothing in the on-board 10 base port.

My OSX is on a SCSI drive internally, my OS 9.2.2 is on the ata drive internally.

I am trying to print to my Epson 740 (supposedly supported by basic OSX according to Epson) and it just doesn't show up anywhere. I am using the serial interface via the "old style round connector" and not USB... to the printer from the printer port on the back of the computer.

I am a bit lost without a "chooser" and when I open "network" in the system preferences; appletalk does not show up as an option under "printer port" (only tcp/ip, ppp, etc.) it only shows up under ethernet. I am not using ethernet to connect to my printer. I did make it active anyhow and the printer does not show up in the list. The 740 drivers are loaded by OSX as default (so the documentation says) but where do I find it to set it as my default printer? Heck, where do I find it at all? It doesn't show up in the print center. If I click to add a printer, it doesn't show up under appletalk either. The "printer model" selection is greyed out and I can't click it.

I am sure it is my lack of experience with OSX but I found Apple help useless and vague at best for this issue.

The printer is turned on and worked perfectly in OS 9 as a printer port serial printer... nothing has changed except OSX added to the mix.

I share this printer with my neighboring PC with the PC using the USB and the Mac using the serial. With both machines plugged into the printer via different interfaces.. as I said before, it worked flawlessly with OS 9 and XP on the PC.

OSX is supposed to load the drivers for this specific printer and I did not choose custom install with OSX when I loaded it. All the drivers seemed to load as per the monitor when I set it up originally.

I am lost now... or rather my printer to the Mac is... the PC still works fine as before.

Any ideas out there? :) Thanks for reading my rambling...

Mike P

PS... also one little bit as well... when I change the startup disk in OSX system prefs to my other drive (it shows as an option for startup), it won't start from the OS 9 ata drive, it always goes back to the OSX SCSI drive and boots OSX... hmmm... starting a "classic application" in OSX will launch OS 9 from the drive and work fine... still no printer as "chooser" isn't classic-supported... MP

2. dudeami macrumors regular

In OS X you will need to set up the printer using the printer utility found in /applications/utilities.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In MacOS X 10.2.8, it's call the Print Center.

4. mikepctp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys but I tried that location and there was nothing in the list to add... is it possible the OSX drivers that Epson states (on their website) are included in the OS load, didn't load? My printer is lost and so am I... :)

Thanks, MP

5. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

hey,

I'm not entirely sure if GIMP was included with 10.2 but its definitely on 10.3. Basically, if you are unsure, GIMP is another unix initiative (don't quote me!) which allows you to use pretty much any printer there is. Download it here:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

It installs as a normal package and you shouldn't notice anything other than the printer being in Printer Setup /Applications/Utilities.

6. vrc macrumors newbie

printer in osx

I would try installing a usb card and using the USB connection. I had similar issues with my G3. USB cards are on ebay cheap, I've posted them for $1.99. Once you do that, if your still having trouble, I can get you up and running.

7. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You CANNOT use the round serial interface with Mac OS X because OS X doesn't support it so you will need to use the USB interface. You CAN however use the round serial interface with Mac OS 9 or below, but then your can only print with Classic applications.

I would just get a USB PCI Card and use that like someone else said. That is the only way it will work.

I know that the EPSON 740 does work natively with OS X because my mom has an EPSON 740i printer (which is the same as a 740 just with a translucent case) and it works without installing anything. All you should have to do is plug it in and turn it on then go to the Printer Center in the Utilities folder and it should be there. If not then check and see if EPSON USB is in the list of options. If not then you need to install the EPSON printer drivers which should be on your OS X Installer CDs.

8. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

mike, I had a similar problem with our Epson 1520 inkjet when we wanted to go from OS 9 to OS X. I spoke directly to an Epson tech, after not being able to find my "Supported" printer on their list. He told me to go to Gimp-Print and I would find the universal driver I needed there. He even made sure I knew the right web address. Went there, downloaded, and am now printing with no (well just a few, but none driver related) problems. :cool:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php3

But I must also concur with everyone else, use the D**n USB

9. mikepctp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link Sparky... I will check it out in the morning and report back...

I am crossing my fingers...

MP :D

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

oi Mike! I gave that link first... if only others read!

11. mikepctp thread starter macrumors member

Sorry there Space... I got your link but failed to credit... :(

Credit where it's due... thanks again.

MP

12. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Sorry Space, didn't mean to step on toes. I saw mike's post and realizing we had another ongoing thread happening I just responded. I'll read more before I post so quickly.