Printer Problems with Mac Mini

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bobdude161, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

My mother has a Mac Mini (1.5 Ghz G4) and she's having quite alot of problems with printer drivers. She first had an HP 5440 and it started printing without black. It would print black the first page but then would just print in color. So we then printed with a Lexmark X515 and it did the same thing. I tried the updated company drivers and generic GIMP drivers. Both gave me the same results. Also messed with every Quartz filter and paper quality. On top of that, I did a reinstall of the system (not a clean install) and it's doing it again. I'm guessing it's the some sorta printer cache. I did permissions repair BTW. What could be making the printers do this? I don't want to revert to a clean install, but it may be the only way to completely fix the situation.

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

from what application(s) are you trying to print?

3. tcsdoc macrumors newbie

Tough problem. Two printers doing the same thing. Possibly a bad cable? Are the printers listed on Apple's Printer Support page? I would think a 'Flush and Fill' would have fixed the problem but you didn't do a clean install. You might want to try that next.

4. ddekker macrumors regular

print

can you try and print a test page with the printer (not sure if macs have this option like PC's do) this might break up if its an app , hardware or OS thing a little...

DD

5. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I'm printing from all sorts of apps: Safari, Word, Appleworks, whatever, no change.

I didn't swap out the USB cable. Can't do it right now since i'm not over there at the moment.

And i did a printer driver test where it bypassed the system and sent the test page straight to the printer. printed fine. no problems.

And the HP 5440 was at least in the list of supported Apple printers because that said Mac OS X compatible on the box. And Lexmark is just s*** and they have s*** drivers, but it ended up doing the same thing. :-/