Printer Recommendations???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mizzou02RS, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Mizzou02RS macrumors member

Hi there...I am about to purchase an iMac G5 and I am going to need a new printer.

My needs are fairly simple...I just need a good inkjet/laserjet printer...color...and that is about it. Any networking/Bluetooth capabilities would be nice, but not necessary.

What are some good brands that have good quality and work with OS 10.4 well?

Thank you.

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I have a HP 6110, an All-in-one machine, that I used to use with my powerbook. I was never impressed with the software or interface.

From this experience I would recommend avoiding HP for use with Apple machines.

IMHO. :)

3. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Epson for me

I'm a professional photographer and I use the Epson Photo R300 for most of my small work.

I have used the larger format Epsons via a friend and have been equally pleased.

I printed a number of 8x10s 5x7s and 4x6s for a friend yesterday that paid for most of my wife's Chirstmas.

I had some 4x6s printed at a one hour lab that didn't look as good as the ones I did.

Edit: I also only use Epson Paper. The Matte Heavyweight is very nice for an art studio look. I also use the 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10 pre-cut Premium Glossy papers. They can't be beat.

2nd Edit: To be honest, I use it with OSX10.3.9 and Win XP.

4. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I use an older HP Photosmart 7450 w/ my eMac and it's great. Before that I used a HP Deskjet 5740 and it was great as well. All my HP's have been easy to setup and never had an issue with them before. I also recommend Canon's becuase the newest Pixma's are supposed to be excellent printers. Can't say anything about Epson b/c I have never used one, but stay away from Lexmark. Total pieces of crap!

5. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I use a Laserjet 1012 and it works great with USB ob 10.4

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I would highly recommend the Canon PIXMA IP3000.

7. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I use an Epson R200. Roughly the same specs as the R300 at a lower price point because it doesn't have the card reader and preview screen built in.

It's been very good to me. 4x6 prints, printable CD/DVDs, all look good.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Most printers you can get nowadays will do a pretty good job at basic stuff...just stay away from Lexmark printers, they're historically trash. More trouble than they're worth.

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I effing hate Lexmark printers. Loud. Slow. POS.

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I have an HP deskjet 5550. Works great with 10.4, 10.3, and XP.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I have that one too, and while quick, I think it bleeds too much. It really makes text look unprofessional. Also, I don't know how important longevity is to you, but I've owned photo printers from all 3 big manufacturers (Epson, Canon, HP). The Epson crapped out after a year and a half, but it was great. the canon worked well, but its quality was mediocre, so I decided to replace it. I went with an HP 7900 because I thought back to my HP printer on my windows machine has worked like a champ since I bought it in 1998. When I moved it I noticed it used serial cable!

13. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I've never owned a Lexmark but have been called to "FIX" a few and have always ended up replacing them.

As for HPs, I've seens some good ones and bad ones.

The Epsons I use are mid-grade price wise. 740i, 825, R300. They have all served well.

The 825 has clogged heads now because the R300 is doing all of the work..

I have 2 740s, (the oldest in my fleet) and both still work great for text. They never were real photo printers, just used for quick proofs.